• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are There More New Libertad Varieties Undescoverd?

4 posts in this topic

3 new libertad varieties have been discovered in the past year.

The libertad series began in 1982 and with the Panda series, its the longest running sovereign bullion program in the world.

While most people take their purchases and just store them away wothout looking at them we have missed 3 huge varieties over the past 34 years. Early last year Dan from Connecticut discovered the 1999 mule where someone else took credit and a nice article was written in coin world magazine about it.

Two months ago, my friend Dan discovered the 1988 Double Die. Right after his discovery, i found one, i was 2 months two late.

About 6 months ago, I bought what i thought at first was a 1982 machine doubled libertad so i just kept put away. After learning more about different types of doubling I decided to reexamine it and submit it for grading as i was confident it was a true Double Die. Last week, NGC posted the grade and yes, the 3rd major variety within the past year is on the map, 1982 DDR.

What makes the 1982 interesting is the fact it was the first year of issue and no one noticed it before.

I bring this up because many of us have rolls and rolls of coins that are never looked at and there could be a hidden gem among them.

The libertad series has been around for 34 years and to find new varieties of coins that have been around just as long means we should look at what we have a liile more closely.

See more journals by TMCGRADY

There probably are. I'm guessing there aren't nearly as many libertad collectors as there are silver eagle collectors. And of those, I'm guessing even fewer know about, look for, or collect varieties.

There probably are. I'm guessing there aren't nearly as many libertad collectors as there are silver eagle collectors. And of those, I'm guessing even fewer know about, look for, or collect varieties.

Even with ASE collectors, myself included, how many rolls are there that will never be opened? I probably have about 30 rolls i have never opened.