• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Finds At The Bank

3 posts in this topic

It was a great week

Good evening, everyone. It's been awhile since I have been on here. We just purchased a house and we're ironing out a few kinks that we did not see before settlement. No biggie.

So, my co-worker from Azerbaijan is only one coin away from finishing the Philadelphia portion of his State Quarter collection. He is missing Ohio. He is about half way finished with the Denver Mint. He told me today that he is loving looking for these coins. The numsmatics is flowing through him.....

Tuesday, our armored car delivered our shipment and I need to break open the box of cents to give them out to the tellers. Whenever I open a box, I open the flap, then look at the coins that are facing me. Then, I carefully flip the box over and lift it, so that the coins are out of the box, standing up. I inspect the new end of the roll that is facing me, then I rubber band them in groups of 10 rolls. On Tuesday, I open the flap and I have the reverses of two wheat cents staring at me. I took two rolls out of my drawer and replaced them. I flipped the box over and lifted it and two more wheaties staring at me. I replaced those also. I finished up and then went back out to my drawer to open up the rolls and set the wheaties aside. I checked the rest of the rolls to see if there was anything else and I ended up with 14 wheat cents! The interesting thing is that there were a lot of other cents in the rolls from the 60s and 70s that would grade as red. I have never seen circulated rolls with red cents from those decades. I decided to take the rest of the box home with me. (Legally of course. I withdrew money from my account) I gave half to my co worker, because I guess I'm a nice guy. lol

I got home and started opening the rolls. I ended up with an additional 14 wheaties, a really nice rainbow cent from the 70s and a Canadian cent with King George on it. Again, something I had never seen. My coworker was just as fortunate.

It finally dawned on me that I had not seen any cents newer than 1982 and the light bulb went off. I had somehow come across someone's copper hoard.

The second fun thing happened today. Another teller was taking a customer deposit of new $100 bills. Once she made the deposit, she asked to sell them to the vault. I started to hand count them because one of our counters doesn't run them very well. I realized I was staring at a whole lot of star notes! Once I finished renumbering them, I realized I had all 100 from the strap! I plan to sell them on eBay, but I need to get them to increase my selling limit.

Sorry for the long winded post. I hope everyone is enjoying their piece of the hobby as I am.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins