• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Nelson Mandela R5 collection ! by sacoin

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I just knew this Mandela birthday coin was going places !! So I did what had to be done (as a coin junky) start buying them up

Well call me crazy, I don't care, I had to do it!!

When the South African Government decided to mint a 5 Rand coin to commemorate Nelson Mandela's 90th Birthday, I instinctively knew that this limited edition special rare coin was going places.

7 billion people on earth, and the majority of them will agree that Mr Mandela is the most famous icon of our times!

The day this coin was minted it lost it's 5 Rand value immediately and was replaced with a "sentimental" and "Historical" value.

The Minister of the Reserve Bank and Minister of Finance went on National TV a few times, begging the people of South Africa not to collect or hold on to these coins when released into circulation 2008

The Reserves Bank send emails to all Banks and Financial institutes, instructing them that only one(1) coin per customer was allowed to be issued.

So the frenzy started!!

I sold whatever I could, took loans, borrowed and worked day and night so that I could buy up these coin wherever I could. 8 years later and now I can boast somewhat and share my collection with you.

Ernie Nice

17221.jpg

See more journals by sacoin