• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 55 Year Journey of Coin Collecting part 2 of 20 posted by danny0603

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Devastated

When I was about 9, my mother emphasized the importance of savings. She set up a bank savings account for me and explained that the bank would pay me interest every quarter. I had my own passbook and would take it into the bank periodically and the interest was recorded and I watched it grow.

There was a problem and lesson learned. I had a great aunt that worked at a bank and every year for my birthday she would sent a brand new, crisp $2 bill. My father for his job as a salesman would have to travel to Las Vegas once a month and every month he would bring me back a Morgan silver dollar. I dutifully took these items to the bank and deposited them into my savings account (thinking that they would put them into a box for safe keeping).

When I was 13, we were going to move to a new town and I needed to close my account. I was devastated to find out that I would not be receiving my 13 brand new, crisp $2.00 bills and 75 Morgan dollars that I had so carefully saved.

See more journals by danny0603

Nice story! I also started at 9. While playing in the sand at school I found two pennies with two different reverses.....this started my curiosity and later coin collecting. Wonder what the Silver dollars would be worth today??

Bud