• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 55 Year Journey of Coin Collecting posted by danny0603

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Very Beginning in 1960

When I was 7 my father bought me blue cardboard coin holders (one each for pennies, dimes, nickels and quarters.) Every day when he came home from work I would be waiting for him to take the change out of his pocket to search for coins to add into my slots. We did this together every evening and it was great father/daughter time. It was such a thrill to find a "new" coin to add. To this day I still have my nearly full (very well circulated) first coin collection.

Little did I know at the time how heavily involved I would become in collecting in the future.

17208.jpg

See more journals by danny0603

My start was similar..I also still have my Lincoln cent folder/thumbbuster "edition 2 1940-1978".

Your wartime nickels look to have developed an aging that goes wonderfully with the history of your set.

Wonderful story.

My dad started me in the same fashion about 40 years ago. He and I still go to shows together, sometimes.

I am actually starting to influence HIM, now, as he has been buying some Morgans and GSA CCs as of late.

Glad that you stayed with it.

Coin collecting has been so good to me.

Despite it having some pitfalls, it is a very rewarding activity, once you become more experienced.

Years of enjoyment, excitement and appreciation. Both artistic and monetary.

Danny,

Nice book of nickels!! You filled the book back when silver nickels were still found in pocket change. Most of us sold the books we filled when we were kids. Congrats on holding on to that set you built so long ago.

Rick

I think my brother has our Dansco albums. Back in the 1960's, that was really the only thing available at least for us kids numismatically. That and the decent coins, from my baby bank, I personally cleaned to be nice and shiny! They now reside in slabs bearing the 'Cleaned' tag!