• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why you “have to buy” that painted coin.

5 posts in this topic

Why you really want to buy that painted coin with the aurora and rainbow on it.

The next time you see a coin ad such as one selling painted coins, or read a coin catalog, try to pick out these principles of persuasion.

1. Reciprocity (I rub your back, you rub mine),

2. Consistency (I believe the same thing today as I did yesterday),

3. Social validation (doing this will make me belong),

4. Friendship or liking (exactly what it sounds like),

5. Scarcity (quick! there isn’t much to go around), and

6. Authority (you seem like you know what you’re talking about).

[Dr. Robert Cialdini, Regents’ Professor of Psychology and Marketing, Arizona State University.]

I have purchased a lot of crazy, expensive, impulsive and superficial things but a painted coin has never been one of them. :D

I've never had that desire nor will I ever.

You left out #7: Beauty (supposedly). ;)

i see that add on the tv again where theres a strict limit of 5 at $29.95 on old b/unc morgan dollars. the best part is that theres only about 3,900 left and thats it. ive seen this add going for the last 4 years or so ( sales are tough )

I have purchased a lot of crazy, expensive, impulsive and superficial things but a painted coin has never been one of them. :D

I've never had that desire nor will I ever.

You left out #7: Beauty (supposedly). ;)

True, but the others are social psychology terms.

I know this from a Udemy course :)

I've often thought that the advertising/marketing world has truly figured out the best ways to tug on our emotions. Madison Avenue has mastered the human emotion, which besides basic necessities, IMO, is why people buy goods and services.

Just think how better you'll feel (about yourself) riding in your new Lexus!, and on and on.