• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeiting is SOOOOO rampant now. 40% Kennedys AND a mutiliated 1929 dime!

35 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting the picture, DCARR. I will use it for presentations to my local club with your permission.

That is ok, thanks for asking.

What is your presentation about ?

Spotting counterfeit coins. I know you and I have differences over some your products in the past, but my point would be that your coin is not as sharp as the government struck Kennedy half dollar. The differences are subtle, but it's the type of thing collectors need to be able to spot. If you don't want me to use, just say so.

Thanks for posting the picture, DCARR. I will use it for presentations to my local club with your permission.

That is ok, thanks for asking.

What is your presentation about ?

Spotting counterfeit coins. I know you and I have differences over some your products in the past, but my point would be that your coin is not as sharp as the government struck Kennedy half dollar. The differences are subtle, but it's the type of thing collectors need to be able to spot. If you don't want me to use, just say so.

Technically, it is an altered coin, not a "counterfeit" coin. You are welcome to use the picture in your presentation, so long as you point that out that difference.

I'm not sure how well you could communicate the lack of sharpness on a coin by using a somewhat blurry photo of that coin. Here is a much larger photo of another example of a similar coin (intentionally handled to make it look moderately circulated):

kenn_1975D_circ.jpg

1964-DhalfdollarO_zps61e989e3.jpg1964-DhalfdollarR_zpsa301ab28.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any mid 1970s business strike copper-nickel clad Kennedy half dollars in my collection. They are just not my thing. The only thing I do have is this 1964 Kennedy, which I know was made from different hubs on a different metal. I think that the details on this coin are a bit sharper.

I do have Proof clad Kennedy half dollars in my collection, but showing one of those would not be a fair comparison.

I don't have a great picture of my "1963-D" Kennedy over-strike, but here is what I have. It was modelled after the 1964 hub style. The two pictures show the lightly-handled and pristine (as over-struck) conditions:

mm_50_1963d_2.jpg

mm_50_1963d_1.jpg