• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Twain's opinion of "In God We Trust" on coins

15 posts in this topic

I just received the new Mark Twain Commemorative $5 gold coin.

post_unitedstates_d05_2016_marktwain.jpg

United States $5 2016 Mark Twain Uncirculated Commemorative Coin

Mark Twain's opinion of the "In God We Trust" motto is well known.

But I think it would better read, "Within certain judicious limitations we trust in God,"

and if there isn’t enough room on the coin for this… enlarge the coin.

Someone at the mint had a sense of humor.

Notice the initials to the right of the motto, which have a well known meaning.

Of course, they are the designer's initials.

Of course.

:)

Mark Twain, 1908:

"Some years ago on the gold coins we used to trust in God. It think it was in 1863 that some genious suggested that it be put on the gold and silver coins which circulated among the rich. They didn't put it on the nickels and coppers because they didn't think the poor folks had any trust in God....If I remember rightly, the President required or ordered the removal of that sentence from the coins. Well, I didn't see that the statement ought to remain there. It wasn't true."

What an unimaginative design for honoring Twain. The portrait of Twain is a comedic caricature. I could build a better model of the boat with a Lego kit.

Challenge accepted. When you are done building the Lego Riverboat, please be sure to post a picture so we can review it!

That was all typed with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

What an unimaginative design for honoring Twain. The portrait of Twain is a comedic caricature. I could build a better model of the boat with a Lego kit.

Challenge accepted. When you are done building the Lego Riverboat, please be sure to post a picture so we can review it!

That was all typed with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

lollol

Despite Mr. Twain's quote from 1908, the motto "In God We Trust" first appeared on the Bronze Two Cent piece in 1864. It was the only coin to carry the motto until 1866 when it was added to the silver quarter, silver half dollar, silver dollar, gold $5, gold $10, and gold $20.

It would be another 42 years until it was added to the gold $2 1/2 in 1908. The penny first received it along with the Lincoln design change in 1909, and the dime got it in 1916. He was right about the nickels though. It was the last denomination to receive the motto with the release of the Jefferson nickel in 1938. I suspect that Jefferson too may have been amused that his coin was the first in the series to receive the motto.

He was right about the nickels though. It was the last denomination to receive the motto with the release of the Jefferson nickel in 1938.

The Shield nickel had the motto in 1866. The law of 1908 REQURIED the motto to appear on any new coins/denominations "upon which it had previously appeared". Therefor the buffalo nickel, which didn't carry the motto was an illegal design under existing law.

OK!

You found the original model for the Twain $5! Looks a lot like Audrey Munson, too....but, then, she and the Irish Girl Mary Cunningham posed for all U.S. coins from the "Indian" cent to this one.

I couldn't resist.....That's me on the Lido deck....

Now I have to go lay down for a while.....

Paul

lego_zpsy1hpyqrm.jpg

lol

You have courteously proved my point.

How it came to mind was a visit to the Lego Championships, and one contestant had built a magnificent paddle wheel.

Paul

lego_zpsy1hpyqrm.jpg

Now THAT is fantastic....lmao!!! Well done.

Now, please post a picture of your Lego Riverboat from the same angle as depicted on the Gold Commem and I'll be able to get a better judgement.... ;)

Paul

lego_zpsy1hpyqrm.jpg

Now, please post a picture of your Lego Riverboat from the same angle as depicted on the Gold Commem and I'll be able to get a better judgement.... ;)

challenge loss doubter...... :sumo:

there is always one in the crowd. :whee:

Paul

lego_zpsy1hpyqrm.jpg

challenge loss doubter...... :sumo:

there is always one in the crowd. :whee:

Too funny! LMAO!