• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Find - 1893 Morgan Dollar

6 posts in this topic

I have a friend who asked me to go through an accumulation of coins from his father-in-law. There were 32 or 33 silver dollars plus junk silver, foreign coins, US and foreign currency. One of the silver dollars was an 1893 Morgan. I was quite surprised to see that coin. It looked good to me so I sent it out to NGC and it was just graded MS-61. Now it has a home in my Morgan dollar date set.

I have a friend who asked me to go through an accumulation of coins from his father-in-law. There were 32 or 33 silver dollars plus junk silver, foreign coins, US and foreign currency. One of the silver dollars was an 1893 Morgan. I was quite surprised to see that coin. It looked good to me so I sent it out to NGC and it was just graded MS-61. Now it has a home in my Morgan dollar date set.

The 1893 Philly VAM-4 is a Top 100 variety. Did you check your coin against the short list of 1893 VAM's on VAMWorld?

Chris

Did you buy the coin before or after it was graded?

Did you buy the coin before or after it was graded?

looks like the person sent it out after the fact.

Didn't check it for a VAM variety, but I will. I'm buying the coin after it was graded and I will be offering him 80% of greysheet bid for it. He also had a 1929 $2.50 Indian which NGC graded as unc details with an improperly cleaned reverse. I didn't see that coming as the coin looked okay to me. That one is a little harder to price. I checked Great Collections and details graded $2.50 Indians seem to be selling for around $200.00. Any thoughts on the Indians fair market value?