• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Statehood Quarter Fun posted by VanPhillips

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The beginning of the Registry Set

After a 13 year hiatus, I finally got back into the coin world, and in November 2015 I purchased 79 quarters from usstatequarters.com to fill the remaining holes I had in my Dansco 1999-2008 Statehood Quarter album.

I was pretty happy going through the quarters as I placed them into the Dansco album after not having even opened it up in 13 years, and felt a sense of accomplishment getting all 100 P&D coins in there!

Then, I remembered I had 2 quarters that I had submitted to NGC back in 2000 and found 'em! What great memories that came back from searching rolls and mint sets to find those 2 quarters I had submitted that came back MS-67! But, I realized, those were the only 2 slabbed ones I had. Instant dilemma...

Well, I had to solve the dilemma, so I created a new account on the NGC Registry, (since I couldn't remember my password and email from 2000), and put those two quarters in their slots. Upon further investigation, I realized "HEY, I can build a high-grade collection!", and there it started...

By the end of November, I had 3 coins in their slots in the Statehood Quarters 1999-2008, Circulation issue Registry set. By the end of December I had added 42 more! *wiping brow*... Thus far in January 2016, I've added another 4 more, and just today purchased some more that I'm anxiously awaiting to arrive.

I've already "met" some nice people here in the Collectors Society forums and am looking forward to continuing to build on the collection. 140 coins total for the collection, ('cause of those darn SMS's), so I have A LOT of searchin' to do!

17180.png

See more journals by VanPhillips

Van,

State quarters are a fun collection!! Like all moderns -- easy on the pocket and a hobby fulfillment at the same time. Good luck filling the set. Some are tough and others will get upgraded on the way. It's a blast of numis-magical enjoyment!!

Rick

Thank you, Alan!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Your King's Ransom set is INCREDIBLE!!!

I'm going to somehow "favorite" that so I can go back and look again and again...

How do you take such fantastic photos???

Thank you, Alan!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Your King's Ransom set is INCREDIBLE!!!

I'm going to somehow "favorite" that so I can go back and look again and again...

How do you take such fantastic photos???

Thanks so much, I'm having a lot of fun putting that one together.

As far as the photos, I have a relatively expensive set-up (Canon EOS 7D with a Canon macro lens, which feed into a Surface Pro 4 so I can see the coin in huge detail as I focus and light it, then shoot remotely). I learned a lot from Brandon (brg5658 here on the forums) and the book "Numismatic Photography" by Mark Goodman. Then it was just a lot of practice. It helps that I went to school for graphic design, so I have a decent eye for lighting and design, so the presentation ends up being something I'm very proud of, thanks for noticing and following. :)

As long as you are having fun, that is all that matters. I am not a modern collector, even though some early American copper collectors would argue that point. State quarters have started many new collectors. Enjoy and welcome back

Welcome back.

One of these days I'm going to have to get serious about the states coins.

I have collections from bank rolls, circ rolls, and mint sets but never really put the time and study into it that it deserves.