• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Actual Market for type II $20s in MS63

6 posts in this topic

I think that the Gray Sheet numbers are too high for the Type II double eagle, but that piece falls short of MS-63 in my opinion. There are way too many marks on the cheek to qualify for the grade.

The Type II $20 gold is very hard to find in true Mint State for a couple of reasons. First, back in the day $20 was too much for the collectors of the period to set aside and not spend in a collection. For that amount of money they could buy MANY collectable coins. Second no large hoards of these coins have recovered in sea salvage operations like, for example, the 1857-S coins from the SS Central America.

Therefore while some dates, like the 1876-S $20 gold, are common in Choice AU, the strictly Mint State coins are illusive. The 1873 $20 gold that is in my type set just barely makes MS-63 IMO. I bought it for less than Gray Sheet "bid" in a Heritage sale a few years ago. The "real Uncs." in MS-64 and better are very hard to find. That is borne out by the grading service population reports.

Something I was struck with in the type II $20s, in MS62 they all had a similar look in terms of condition, field chatter or other tics. It was so unusual to find MS 63 type IIs (66-76) and the price differential was a major barrier. But even if the coin is CACd it does not mean that they will offer current CDN bid price, but usually they are behind it.

When I bought the 1873 Type II $20 at auction, there was a similar 1873 $20 in the same sale that that was graded MS-63, CAC. I passed on it because I thought the one I was bidding on was better. The CAC approved coin also sold for less than Gray Sheet bid in the auction.