• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Discovery!!! 1976-S Silver 25c Doubled Die Obverse VP-001 NGC PF66 UCAM

15 posts in this topic

How about this newly discovered 1976-S Silver 25c DDO VP-001 NGC PF66 Ultra Cameo? Wow! I came across this the other day going through my sets. I couldn't believe what I was seeing through the Loupe. I sent this to Dr. James Wiles from Coneca for confirmation and attribution. I received the letter back from Dr. Wiles with a new Coneca #. Thank you!

I just received it back recently from NGC with 1st Reported Label and VP-001. What do you think about my recent find and attribution?

Here is a link to Coneca's website: http://varietyvista.com/1976SDDO002%20quarter.htm

NGC's Variety Plus: https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/washington-quarters/1776-1976-s-silver-ddo-25c-vp-001-5805/

According to NGC: "Doubling is visible on LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST."

The effect is slight and easily overlooked, but it is a doubled obverse die.

Hmmm...is a doubled die quarter automatically worth 50-cents face value? Whose face is valued and why? Just some thoughts on a foggy Friday.

Congratulations. Where is the doubling on the obverse?

If you go to the first link, there are high quality closeups to look at.

Nice find!

Thanks. I was only looking at the posted coin picture. I see it now.

gratzi

d/c f/r coins are still coming to light frequently. amazing.

2015 seemed to be a banner year.

a master index will soon be required for everything from 1/2-$20. well, we are probably there now.

all-in, for 1/2c-$20, i am around 3 dozen d/c f/r. tough but fun racket. :)

happy hunting.

that almost seems minor to me or am i missing something?

yes. in series where there may not be many minor ones, they seem to get a pass.

also depends on whom is doing the designation(s).

there is more than one game in town. ;)

many ikes/kennedys like this are ignored often.

i'm not saying their not worthy though.

How about this newly discovered 1976-S Silver 25c DDO VP-001 NGC PF66 Ultra Cameo? Wow! I came across this the other day going through my sets. I couldn't believe what I was seeing through the Loupe. I sent this to Dr. James Wiles from Coneca for confirmation and attribution. I received the letter back from Dr. Wiles with a new Coneca #. Thank you!

I just received it back recently from NGC with 1st Reported Label and VP-001. What do you think about my recent find and attribution?

Here is a link to Coneca's website: http://varietyvista.com/1976SDDO002%20quarter.htm

NGC's Variety Plus: https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/washington-quarters/1776-1976-s-silver-ddo-25c-vp-001-5805/

Congrats!

that almost seems minor to me or am i missing something?

yes. in series where there may not be many minor ones, they seem to get a pass.

also depends on whom is doing the designation(s).

there is more than one game in town. ;)

many ikes/kennedys like this are ignored often.

i'm not saying their not worthy though.

I find this variety to be rather minor. However, it is very unusual to see a Proof Quarter of the 1970s onward with doubling; and it's a silver Bicentennial, so it is understandable that it is a special find.

However, there are many doubled dies in pre-1964 Washington and Franklin Proofs that the services will not recognize, and even more in business strikes...in addition to Kennedy and Ike coins you mention. Thus I have very mixed emotions about this one being recognized.