• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1833 capped bust half dollar reverse info

12 posts in this topic

Hello. I need some help identifying the reverse on a 1833 capped bust, lettered edge, half dollar that I have recently acquired. I tried to get the best photos I could to show the obverse, reverse and the edge lettering. I have spent several hours scouring through the Redbook, Heritage auctions and Stacks and Bowers to identify the reverse on this coin. It seems to be what the Redbook refers to as a Crushed Lettered Edge Proof. It does not have the reverse of a 1833. The Eagles talons and arrows are different along with the pattern of the feathers throughout the body and neck. Also, the top left corner of the shield is placed differently, protruding out past the Eagles shoulder. The dentils are rounded, almost as if they are scalloped, and cut off at a straight edge to allow for the lettering on the edge. the lettering says: " FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR" with a star between, "DOLLAR and FIFTY", I know that the coin is showing some soft wear, but it is in extremely fine almost uncirculated condition. I would just like some information on this coin before I send it in for grading. I have only been collecting for about 2 1/2 years and I could not pass this coin up because it was so nice. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I am just stumped on this one. Thank You!

1833 capped bust

I think your 1833 half is O-113. Possibly O-112... maybe an expert here will say for sure.

Both are R.2 "Slightly Uncommon".

Looking at the Reverse of your 1833 half, my non-expert opinion is based on:

-- the shape of the 5.

-- the top of the 5 is higher than 0.

-- in PLURIBUS, the "I" is centered under the left side of the T in STATES.

For comparison, here's my 1833 half (which I believe is O-104, R.1 "Common"):

1833%20Capped%20Bust%20half%20dollar%205_zpsexinuzww.jpg

1833%20Capped%20Bust%20half%20dollar%201_zpsfft0vmzz.jpg

Early Half Dollar Die Varieties Book by Parsley Overton and Dave (MBA101) website are very good and useful resource if you are into capped bust half dollar. From your picture, I believe it's O-113 --- 5 is much higher than 0. I wouldn't submit it to NGC or other grading services because I am sure it will come back as XF details improperly cleaned or polished.

Thank you everyone for your help. After looking at the website (great website by the way) from MBA101 I believe Co.Collector and A.Phillips are correct in the the O-113 reverse. I am disappointed to find that most everyone thinks that this coin has been cleaned. I purchased it unaware of this and with the toning on the coin, which isn't showing in the picture under my lighting, was not visible to me at the time. I think I will just hold on to it and decide later what is best to do with it later. Kinda sad that someone would ruin such a nice coin. Thanks again for all your help!

Cathy

Take the coin with you to a larger coin show and ask some of the dealers for their opinions about the cleaning. They might be able to help you avoid buying such pieces in the future.