• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Non-US Coin Designs in the past 115 years

22 posts in this topic

After being disappointed in the results or rather lack there of in Roger's thread I'm starting my own to talk specifically about the best non-U.S. designs of the past 115 years. I have this posted under the general board, and not the ancient and world boards, as this is merely a general survey to generate a general discussion without getting hijacked and turned into a U.S. coin party.

A coin collection is wonderful way to explore the beauty and cultures of other lands, peoples, and societies. They are artistic representations of other land's stories and values. What are your top 5 non-U.S. coins? Photos are optional and are not needed to convey opinions. There are only two parameters

1.) Do not list the same country more than once (ex. I love German coins, but I could only have one German coin represented on my list)

2.) Think broadly

I was excited to see the other thread started, Im a US coin collector but I LOVE seeing beautiful foreign coins, the other thread had to much criteria in a field I just don't know enough about so I steered clear of posting. I have more to learn than contribute when it comes to world coins, I hope members share some wonderful coins here. I for one will be watching closely. Here is one of my favorite coin designs. Some may think it's to simple but I love it, it's beautiful in hand.

Nick

image_zpsyoj9vrct.jpg

Here are 5 of my favorites:

1.) Germany-3rd Reich, Potsdam Garrison Church that commemorated 1 year of Nazi rule. Depicted on the 2 (km#81) and 5 (km# 82, 83) Reichsmark coins. This one design, though showing a pretty piece of architecture showcased their conservative Christian politics, and is a reminder of where theocracies go. A history that needs to be remembered, and hopefully never repeated.

2.) Italy- a one year type from 1911, 10 Centesimi, km#51 commemorating the 50th Anniversary of Italy.

3.) Turkey, km 899 spanning 1971-79, 50 Kurus. I love the Anatolian Bride folk design. It is a beautiful depiction of the folk culture Ataturk championed for.

4.) Great Britain, km# 842, 1 Pound. This 1935 1 year type showcases an updated version of the iconic George slaying the dragon

5.) Heisei era Japan 1989 to present, 10 Yen depicting a temple. Y#97.2.

Okay......narrowing it down according to the parameters has been hard, but I think I'm ready. Pics are linked below the entries. Without further ado......

1. Ottoman Empire Nickel/Copper-Nickel 40 Para

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?sc=413819

2. Germany Hindenburg and Swastika 2 and 5 Reichsmarks

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?sc=413820

3. Chile Libertad 5 and 10 Pesos

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?sc=413818

France-LaGriffoul depiction of Marianne

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?sc=413837

and for # 5....British India depiction of Queen Victoria:

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=1928824

And there's my list! Great topic Critter, I'm glad to see it!!

~Tom

Oh yes, I almost forgot.....nice choices to both Nick and Critter! Very nice! And to Nick, I can understand about the other thread, it was a bit involved. I'm glad to see a US collector who actually wants to learn about and enjoy non-US coins! After that last one, I really needed that so thanks!!

Love the Australian design. And - not a sign of Ayers Rock!

(Would have preferred the initials be elsewhere - they intrude on the open expanse.)

My selections are somewhat Euro-centric, as that is what I know and prefer design wise. I have opted to not repeat any of the coins or designs I previously posted in the other thread by RWB. I hope you can also overlook my equine-centric bias in coin designs. ;)

In no particular order, here are 5 that I like.

1. 1921 Portugal, 20 centavos

I really like the bust of the woman on this coin. The bust is the personification of the Republic, and pictured a young woman wearing a crown of bay leaves. She is also on a 4 centavos coin I have from 1919, but I decided to post this one because there are other things I like about the design too. I like the unique thick border around the middle designs. This thick border region, with dentils, and central designs is striking and uncommon in my opinion. The composition is also interesting, as it is a nickel heavy copper alloy and thus is less prone to oxidation than most copper colored coins. As such, it is not given a color designation as RD, RB, or BN.

1921_Portugal_20C_NGC_MS65_composite_zps5a54fdf3.jpg

2. 1915 Italy, 2 Lire

The quadriga representation on the Italian silver coins of the 1909-1917 era are just stunning. Davide Calandra was a true master of the equine form. The design speaks for itself.

1915_Italy_2Lire_NGC_MS65_composite_zpsf00e6d1d.jpg

3. 1934-35 Australia, Florin

This is a Kruger-Gray design, issued only in 1934-35 to celebrate the centanry of Victoria and Melbourne. The vast majority of the striations on the obverse of this example are raised, thus die preparation lines of some sort. This example has been verfied as a "very early strike" or "specimen strike" -- as it exhibits a full laurel crown and a full nipple of the rider (see close-up image). Between 10 and 15 examples with a nipple and full laurel crown are known.

1934_Centenary_Florin_NGC_MS62_Label_composite_zps2646c72d.jpg

head_nipple_close_up_zps042fe0ad.jpg

4. 1935 Hungary Klippe, 2 Pengo

It is a non-circulating coin, but the design is just jaw dropping in my opinion. I love the filigree work around the central designs, the cameo effect, the klippe shape, etc.

1935_KLIPPE_Hungary_Racoczi_PF66UCAM_NGC_2Pengo_Restrike_composite_zpsb2b3f6e0.jpg

5. 1984 Mongolia, 10 Tugrik

While a rather typical "modern" design in terms of the simplified forms, the way that this coin was minted to give cameo effect yet not completely liquid black fields is a site to see in hand. I am also intrigued by the triangular shaped "dentil" like edge details of the reverse.

1984_Mongolia_10Tugrik_Equestrian_NGC_PF69UC_composite_zps37444d88.jpg

4. 1935 Hungary Klippe, 2 Pengo

It is a non-circulating coin, but the design is just jaw dropping in my opinion. I love the filigree work around the central designs, the cameo effect, the klippe shape, etc.

1935_KLIPPE_Hungary_Racoczi_PF66UCAM_NGC_2Pengo_Restrike_composite_zpsb2b3f6e0.jpg

That is breathtaking!

The Italian silver is especially impressive in the medal press versions.

You have $15K laying around to get one? ;)

I'll have to stick to the smaller denomination circulation coins on my budget. :grin:

Ok, so my pictures are not as good a brg5658, but I put them up anyway. I am only going to post one side to save space

1. Caballito Pesos, (KM 453), 1910-1914, Circulation Issue. By far my most favorite design. The "Little Horse". This commemorative coin was struck in .903 silver to celebrate the Centennial of the War of Independence.

JrKZK32rQkqpp7MRfKD4_1913ms64R.png

2. India-British Rupee 1912 - 1936 (KM 524). Really like the design simple yet complex that is very pleasing to the eye. For me

LQBcsd97QW2zgHPLq08O_1919%20rupeeo.png

3.1913 German States Prussia 3 Mark - 100 Years - Defeat of Napoleon. I like several of the German designs, this is one I found very interesting. I put both sides up on this coin because I find both the reverse and the obverse very interesting. I guess I just like Eagles eating snakes.

FXsFRlmSBy1N20Kergkv_1901%20napolo.pngTF7E4KL9ThaKC1heLeq8_1901%20napoloa.png

4. 1877 - 1902 Norway 20 Kroner KM 355. My interest in this coin is my grandfather gave it to me and he brought it with him on the boat ride to the US as an immigrant entering the country.

NA23d9ciSB6jNxNSI7Z4_19020.png

5. 1931 - 1947 Panama Balboa km 13. I like this design, both sides. I added a link to the NGC page, the picture is a lot better. https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/panama-balboa-km-13-1931-1947-cuid-6249-duid-22236

wehnWeRO2SybDoEnFyAJ_19310.png

Very nice coins kmag!! And I think your pics are just fine. Mine aren't as good as Brandon's either, but I think few of us have the kind of camera skills he has.

:)

@Critter8880: I also love the 1911 Italian design. Also, great choice for the 1935 Crown with the "Rocking Horse" St. George design.

@Mohawk: I don't know much about the Ottoman coins, but I love the intricate designs. Also really like the LaGriffoul Marianne design and the Queen Vicky design from India.

@kmag: All 5 of the coins you posted are right up my alley. Love the Cabillito, the color on that Rupee is amazing, and you got a great example of the Panama design in a better date of the 3 date series.

May you all continue to add super coins to your world collections in 2016. Happy New Year to All! (thumbs u

Best, Brandon

Thanks for the kind words Brandon! I also hope everyone's having a happy 2016 so far!

~Tom