• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Service Agent William Kennoch - Counterfeit Catcher

9 posts in this topic

Received an e-mail the other day from The 19th Century Rare Book and Photograph Shop and was intrigued with one of their items that I thought you all may be interested in as well.

Way beyond my budget, but an interesting and quite historical archive with a numismatic bent.

The e-mail received:

kennoch-rogues.jpg

More Details on The Photographic Rogues Gallery of Secret Service Agent William Kennoch

Back in those days the Feds were the law, much tougher. I wonder if there are good books on the current staffs of the secret service and their work interdicting fraudulent money? Anthony Comstock was probably the most famous person to be born in my town; and he had tremendous power to root out fraud in his own way.

The older Secret Service files are available for research in NARA. Most are on microfilm, too. Files are voluminous, so plan accordingly.