• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP- the coin that got me interested in the hobby. Shipwreck gold 57-s

20 posts in this topic

I was chatting with one of my favorite dealers George Huang from Legend about coins on my want list as I've been toying with the idea of putting together a 12 piece gold type set. I told him that this Shipwreck coin was near the top of the list regardless if I decided to go down that road. Doug Winter in one of his awesome articles mentioned this was a coin to strongly consider for inclusion.

George went to work with the mandate of the following: great appearance, no spots or corrosion, CAC, original packaging and just as importantly a coin he approved. George is the pickiest buyer I know and I trust his eye. The result was this two tone coin. I love it......mark

image_zpssizaf5vv.jpeg

image_zpsei7hkivk.jpeg

image_zpsugmgjlao.jpeg

image_zpsuaxeb0ty.jpeg

image_zps3fvip4kg.jpeg

image_zpsk5xhu31b.jpeg

The perfect coin for a type set, and a coin that actually came down in price after the shipwreck hoards started hitting the market. Most of the $20 Lib. experts were skeptical of how these hoard coins from the sea would appear in hand, but that one has it all.

Congrats on getting one with book and all of the trimmings. Most of them are sold just in the slab. I'd love to get one with the book, but seems to be very hard to do.

I have one in an NGC holder MS-65 holder. My guess it was one of 8% that went to "the other guys" who won that amount in the court settlement.

Thanks fellas!!!

Ya, the packaging was always part of the puzzle. Had to have......The only think missing is the Tommy Thompson signature insert which wasnt a deal breaker. Those I understand are very very very hard to come by.

mark

Thanks fellas!!!

Ya, the packaging was always part of the puzzle. Had to have......The only think missing is the Tommy Thompson signature insert which wasnt a deal breaker. Those I understand are very very very hard to come by.

mark

Beautiful coin! One of the nicest I've ever seen. (thumbs u

I was just curious about the Tommy Thompson signature insert. I believe he signed a Certificate of authenticity for each coin. did he sign anything else?

Thnx.

Thanks fellas!!!

mark

Beautiful coin! One of the nicest I've ever seen. (thumbs u

I was just curious about the Tommy Thompson signature insert. I believe he signed a Certificate of authenticity for each coin. did he sign anything else?

Thnx.

Thank you. We are talking the same thing. It's inserted on the facing below the where the coin sits in the packaging

mark

All I have to say is stunning! That is one of the most gorgeous double eagles I have ever seen! MJ, thank you for sharing it with us. I have already spent a considerable amount of time just staring at your photos in awe struck wonder. I love the hair of the type-1 double eagles. In varying stages of wear (low AU and under) the hair of the type-1 is somewhat unattractive. However, in gem state it is the most beautiful.

Gary