• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw coin auction

36 posts in this topic

A lot of his provisions are no different from what the major auctioneers were doing in the pre certification days.

A lot of them are no different from what the major auctioneers are doing TODAY. If you reaaly read the terms or sale by the major auction houses you will find them to be very similar to his.

Really, are you kidding me?

No significant auction company sells raw coins; HA, Stacks Bowers, GC, etc.. And ebay will not allow numerical grades in their listings for uncertified coins.

That is incorrect. HA sells uncertified coins in "gallery sales" and I believe that other major auction companies do, as well.

That's interesting, are there links to those? Also roughly what percentage of Heritage's sales are in raw coins and how do they get listed or described, and which numismatist is responsible for those listings?

I do not see them in our archives, though I might have missed them. The uncertified coins are typically low value, bulk lot items. I am unfamiliar with their descriptions or lack thereof. Their percentage in terms of the number of coins is far greater than in terms of the value, relative to our certified coin sales.

It's apples and oranges between "Charter Oak" and HA, uncertified ("MS66++") and certified coins with two real companies standing behind auction items. Oh, and by the way all of the "Charter Oak" results are now down the memory hole a few days after the auction and the guy who runs it said results are not available to make room for the next month. When someone who bought a counterfeit gold coin from them tried to return it later, that was denied, Fred said that he didn't know who the consignor was. lol

Fred sounds like a liar, a poor businessman or both.

I wonder, in the case of a counterfeit, whether the auctioneer might be legally bound to refund the buyer's money, regardless of whether the consignor can be located? I don't see why not.

People can choose whatever name they want for their business and it is good to choose notable historical names if the business is well run; some people name their business after themselves or notable people in the field, like "Stacks Bowers" two very notable and honorable gentlemen.

The "Charter Oak" is one of the state's great landmarks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_Oak

I wonder, in the case of a counterfeit, whether the auctioneer might be legally bound to refund the buyer's money, regardless of whether the consignor can be located? I don't see why not.

I would think they would be because they sold something to which they can not pass good title.

A lot of his provisions are no different from what the major auctioneers were doing in the pre certification days.

A lot of them are no different from what the major auctioneers are doing TODAY. If you reaaly read the terms or sale by the major auction houses you will find them to be very similar to his.

No significant auction company sells raw coins; HA, Stacks Bowers, GC, etc.. And ebay will not allow numerical grades in their listings for uncertified coins.

All three of those company do, indeed, sell raw coins.

All three of those company do, indeed, sell raw coins.

You can be sure that any "raw" coin they sell is accurately described. And I don't know any leading coin or currency dealer who sells their material at high grade without getting the items certified; there a few good arguments to not get high grade pre-modern high value coins certified.