• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Pricing and an 1807/6 Large Cent

5 posts in this topic

We all know that published coin prices are guides and have to be used as such. To illustrate, I recently bought a very nice Draped Bust large cent. It's an 1807/6 Large 7 (S-273). It's a PCGS VF20. If you look it up on PCGS it gives a value of $800.00. NGC's website has a value of $725.00 and NN Coin Market has a value of $625.00. Coin World Trends is similar. The 2015 Red Book has a retail value of $500.00. And if I checked auction results I'd see different prices there too. I paid just under $500.00 for it and I feel that I was treated very fairly. By the way, I looked up Dr. Sheldon and was surprised to see that he was born right here in RI in 1898.

It looks like a good deal if the coin is nice and no problem; and it looks like CDN is low on that based on auction records. This VF25 sold for $763: http://coins.ha.com/itm/large-cents/1807-6-1c-large-7-vf25-pcgs-pcgs-population-8-50-ngc-census-0-0-mintage-829-221-numismedia-wsl-price-for-problem/a/1216-9093.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

it looks like CDN is low on that based on auction records.

You can't buy the early copper coins for the CDN numbers. It has been wrong for years. I don't know who the dealers are who make purchases for those amounts unless they taking advantage of unsuspecting sellers. CDN numbers just don't make any sense.

it looks like CDN is low on that based on auction records.

You can't buy the early copper coins for the CDN numbers. It has been wrong for years. I don't know who the dealers are who make purchases for those amounts unless they taking advantage of unsuspecting sellers. CDN numbers just don't make any sense.

That happened to me with an 1824 large cent that graded XF45. I figured I needed an AU50 to break even, it was a nice coin though, but took a loss. I guess dealers who pull out GS are better than those who pull out BS.