• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LASIK and grading.

33 posts in this topic

I had stayed away from this post as I'm kind of an extreme wimp, more so than normal, when it comes to things with the eyes. However, I wanted to add that there is a theory that the intricately cut dies that the Greeks used for their coinage were made by folks who were extraordinarily myopic. Since the Greeks had no loups, as far as we know, the incredibly small details were likely put there by people who otherwise had very poor daily vision. Research into this area was published in The Numismatist about three years ago and I will see if I can uncover the reference for you.

I can wholely identify. It is now one week status post surgery. My eyes are still healing and it will take up to six weeks to fully heal. It was and is a successful procedure but not without its losses. Obviously, I was very myopic but my near vision was extremely sharp. I could spot the slightest "but" on coins. Now, shoot, I couldn't even see the mint mark on a Wheatie that a co-worker of mine showed to me. I know that it is way too earlier to let that experience be the litmus but it is still a bummer in a way. I still have no regrets and will adapt. But I am still curious where my "sweet spot" will be (i.e. how far will an object be from my eyes at the ideal viewing distance).

I tell you guys, if I was an NGC grader right now then all grades would go up two points minimum. I was looking at my proof Liberty nickel yesterday and couldn't see any of the minute flaws that I know are there. It really kind of sux but it is still early.

How do the rest of you cope? Normally, presbyopia (reading glasses) kicks in around my age (39 yrs old) so there must be alot of individuals in my same boat. Does this frustrate you or are you able to overcome with glasses or holding the coin at a certain distance. Can you still spot a problem coin or does one slip past you occassionally?I would really like to know so I'm looking forward to seeing what you write. Thanks.

• Administrator

Just thought I would share my experience with LASIK...

I had the procedure about six years ago and I will say that it was a miracle for me. My vision was very bad and getting worse with each passing year. However, my experience with LASIK was not without problems.

I actually had the procedure twice...the first time the doctor undercorrected my eyes and I saw blinding halos around any light source. I had incredible headaches, I couldn't drive and I was afraid that I had made a huge mistake. Fortunately my doctor immediately offered to do the procedure again to make the correction.

After the results of the first procedure, I saw what could go wrong and I am lucky that in my case it could be fixed. So, while I am thrilled with the end result, I always tell people that they should consider all of the possible outcomes of the procedure.

Regarding my vision today...I can see things up close and at a distance with perfect clarity but I find that my perception of light is different than it was prior to the procedures - I am much more sensitive to light.

Give your eyes time to adjust EZ_E...sounds like your procedure went very well but you won't see the full benefit for at least that six week recovery time.

Thanks for relating your experience and for the encouragement, Dena!

Yeah, it is pretty scary having your eyes missed with but I waited for 10 years before I felt comfortable enough to have the procedure performed. I'm sure that six years ago, the software was yet to be perfected so the margin for error was much greater.

Thanks for the info on seeing up close. This was my main concern. So, one week down and another five to go!

p.s. Dena, I'm glad that your procedure worked out!!! Although rare, some of the possible complications are scary.

So, the irony is that you once used the "eye" from Final Fantasy: the spirits within for your moniker. And, gee, I really liked that eye. grin.gif

Maybe I'll start another poll to see which the boardsters prefer. 893whatthe.gif J/K! Actually, I think that the general concensus is that I am banned from any future polls. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif