• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LASIK and grading.

33 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I had LASIK surgery performed two days ago. My vision was 20/400 and now it is 20/15 at a distance.

Before, I had incredibly sharp vision at about a foot away. I very seldom ever needed a loop to grade a coin. Now, I wonder how that will change. Since it is only two days post op then my eyes are still adjusting so I don't know the end results.

Any like experiences out there in board-land that could relate their experiences to me?

I certainly hope that I don't have to start the learning curve all over again.

foreheadslap.gif

Oh well, if I buy any junk coins then I'll just pawn them off to michael. grin.gif

Come on now, Hayden.

Do I just get one dancing banana?

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Ok, that's better!!!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Regardless of the outcome, it is worth it. I do hope that my near vision comes back, though. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Glad to know that your surgery went well. Hope things continue to go well also.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif and thumbsup2.gif

Now, that is a great attitude!!! grin.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifacclaim.gif

Oh, and thank you.

victor i have had much experience with eyes even the middle eye 893whatthe.gif

and you iwll be fine jusyt give it a few days and you should be almosat back to close normal vision and then distance vision you ewill be eagle eyed

keep us informed on this eye coin development flowerred.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Victor, I went thru the Lasik about three years ago. Used to have to wear corrective lens for distance, now I have to use them for anything inside of 2 feet. I'm 20/20 in one and 20/18 in the other.

Your 20/15 will not stay there. In a few weeks, your eyes will have healed and the swelling will have gone away so expect something between 20/15 and 20/20. And if you did have both eyes done, you will need reading glasses for anything up close and may be similar to my experience.

As you probably know, some people opt to just have one eye corrected so they can use it for distance and the other for up close. Didn't want this as it seemed ones depth perception might suffer regardless of what I was told in opposition.

As an avid golfer, I wanted to see the golf ball at 200 to 300 yards and now I can...but I need reading glasses for coins, books, newspapers, anything up close. The trade off was and still is worthwhile, albeit a nuisance.

victor i have had much experience with eyes even the middle eye 893whatthe.gif

and you iwll be fine jusyt give it a few days and you should be almosat back to close normal vision and then distance vision you ewill be eagle eyed

keep us informed on this eye coin development flowerred.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well, michael, as I've always said about you: "You have an eye like an eagle and a butt like a beagle!"

insane.gif

That is quite a dramatic change, Victor. Congratulations.

Thanks for the congratulations, Charlie, but you owe me a banana!!!

headbang.gif

yay.gif

Hope your recovery is excellent Victor! cool.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Hoot, I'm going to start another poll for who is the best banana poster! smirk.gif And I do believe that you will win this poll hands down (or bananas up)! 27_laughing.gif

Hoot, I'm going to start another poll for who is the best banana poster! smirk.gif And I do believe that you will win this poll hands down (or bananas up)! 27_laughing.gif

Bananas up, baby! insane.gif

Here's a thousand bananas just for you! flowerred.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifhtml>

Victor, I went thru the Lasik about three years ago. Used to have to wear corrective lens for distance, now I have to use them for anything inside of 2 feet. I'm 20/20 in one and 20/18 in the other.

Your 20/15 will not stay there. In a few weeks, your eyes will have healed and the swelling will have gone away so expect something between 20/15 and 20/20. And if you did have both eyes done, you will need reading glasses for anything up close and may be similar to my experience.

As you probably know, some people opt to just have one eye corrected so they can use it for distance and the other for up close. Didn't want this as it seemed ones depth perception might suffer regardless of what I was told in opposition.

As an avid golfer, I wanted to see the golf ball at 200 to 300 yards and now I can...but I need reading glasses for coins, books, newspapers, anything up close. The trade off was and still is worthwhile, albeit a nuisance.

Dave, thank you so much for this practical information. I was also offered the mono vision (where they undercorrect one eye to be able to read from) but I declined it. I don't know why but I was strongly opposed to this.

I could see perfect before up close but to read with my glasses on then I had to hold it a couple of feet away, anyway. Which brings up my original issue: will I be able to see the coin the same as before? Obviously not. But I guess that life is always full of trade-offs.

Now, here is a humorous story:

Dr. Kent Wellish is the most respected ophthalmologist in Las Vegas. He had a two year fellowship just in eye-surgeries while most just attend a one day seminar. The guy is excellent and very meticulous. He is likable to boot but he doesn't have much of a sense of humor. So, the day following the procedure I had a follow up appointment. I told him in faked concern. "Well, doc, I'm sorry but I failed to tell you about my previous medical history." "When I was born, I was born without eyelids. Yep. And then, upon circumcision, they used the foreskin to reconstuct my eyelids via bleboplasty (plastic surgery)." "Really?!," he proclaimed, "I can't even tell." To which I replied, "Yeah, and I've been a little Kock-eyed every since." 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I can't believe that I had him going so. 893applaud-thumb.gif

EZ............

Hoot............

You guys must have maxed out the thread with your yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif...

either that, or they've placed an embargo on yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif....

It wouldn't accept my post as I wrote it so I'll have to give you an abbreviated version...............

Were you guys technical advisors for the Marx Brothers' movie Goin Bananas ?

I can see clearly now,

the rain is gone.

I can see all obstacles

in my way.

Gone are the dark clouds

that had me blind.

It's gonna be a bright, bright

SUNSHINY DAY!

Need I say more!

Chris

EZ............

Hoot............

You guys must have maxed out the thread with your yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif...

either that, or they've placed an embargo on yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif....

It wouldn't accept my post as I wrote it so I'll have to give you an abbreviated version...............

Were you guys technical advisors for the Marx Brothers' movie Goin Bananas ?

I can see clearly now,

the rain is gone.

I can see all obstacles

in my way.

Gone are the dark clouds

that had me blind.

It's gonna be a bright, bright

SUNSHINY DAY!

Need I say more!

Chris

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Congratulations! I hope you are feeling well soon. My mother had this surgery years ago and she proclaims it was a miracle. On day two when she woke up and could see without her glasses, she cried. She had worn glasses since she was a small child and I don't know what her eyesight was but she told me she had been legally blind without her glasses before. I believe she uses contacts or glasses to drive and read. Anyway congrats. You deserve the best. grin.gif

Stupid question - what does "20/400" mean?

I haven't had my eyes checked in years, but it seems like I have great vision up close. Only at a distance does it get blurry.

Also, I find my vision gets blurry, or "tired" when I've been in a room with fluorescent lighting for a while.

James

20/400 means that your vision is at 20 feet as is an average person with healthy vision at 400 feet. It means you can't see so good. crazy.gif

You are near-sighted, myopic. Has to do with the shape of your eye. You may also be astigmatic, which is a function of the cornea.

Many people suffer from flourescent lighting due to the refresh frequency of the lights. They typically refresh at 60 Hz, which means they effectively turn on and off 60 times per second. Some flourescent lights cycle at 75 Hz, but that requires a particular type of generator (balance) in the light fixtures. Anyhow, most people can readily detect fluctuating light at 60 Hz, and some can detect it at 75 Hz. It's quite hard on the eyes, causing rapid and repeated fluctuations in the ciliary muscles of the iris and lens. This simply fatigues the eye and can result in blurred vision by the end of a day. Most common flourescent lights are green-shifted, which can also be hard on some peoples' vision and can cause significant eye strain. Daylight bulbs are available.

Hoot

Well gee, Hoot, you must be one of them thar scientists! 893whatthe.gif

Good explanation.

p.s. Mel, Mike and Charlie, thanks for the well-wishes! thumbsup2.gif

• Administrator

So we should be trying to surgery our way to 20/0.00000009.

Although would that mean that everything around us would like GIANT?

So we should be trying to surgery our way to 20/0.00000009.

Although would that mean that everything around us would like GIANT?

27_laughing.gif

Rarely, people will have vision of 20/10. A bit more common is 20/15. It has more to do with visual acuity than magnification, but I'm no optics expert.

Predatory birds, particularly diurnal species, have oval-shaped eyes with the long axis from front to back. This geometry causes a magnification of an image from the cornea through the lens and striking the foveae, which are the retinal areas at the back of the eye that have the highest density of light sensitive cells. (Humans have one fovea per eye, while hawks, eagles, accipiters, etc., have two). Wish I had a good illustration...

Hoot

My brother had it done a few years ago. He had no problem but it took a little while for the eyes to get it together. But....I heard from news reports on television that some people are not getting the results that they've expected - some had problems so bad that, in the case of an airline pilot, he couldn't fly anymore, and now is suing the doctor that did the surgury. According to the docs, this surgury may not work for everyone (so, in other words, the doc tells me that theres a cavaet!) I, myself, would not do it, as I try my hardest to keep my eyes in good working order despite wearing glasses (in fact, I'm getting a new pair of glasses sometime next week). Good vision is very important if you're in the coin business - I know everyone here would agree with me.

I hope that the gentleman who got the Lasik surgury done on him will have excellemt vision. cool.gif

I had stayed away from this post as I'm kind of an extreme wimp, more so than normal, when it comes to things with the eyes. However, I wanted to add that there is a theory that the intricately cut dies that the Greeks used for their coinage were made by folks who were extraordinarily myopic. Since the Greeks had no loups, as far as we know, the incredibly small details were likely put there by people who otherwise had very poor daily vision. Research into this area was published in The Numismatist about three years ago and I will see if I can uncover the reference for you.

there is a theory that the intricately cut dies that the Greeks used for their coinage were made by folks who were extraordinarily myopic. Since the Greeks had no loups, as far as we know, the incredibly small details were likely put there by people who otherwise had very poor daily vision. Research into this area was published in The Numismatist about three years ago and I will see if I can uncover the reference for you.

Fascinating. I'll look forward to your reference.

Hoot