• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cross PCGS 65 to NGC 66 or 65 * ?

What will it do ?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What will it do ?

28 posts in this topic

The photo really isn't good enough to show the difference between a 65 and 66. As to a "star": I have no clue.

jom

I would see what CAC thinks on it; the submission would allow you to hopefully get their thoughts on it since they see so many of these.

I wouldn't. I don't see the coin getting a gold star. And a regular star probably wouldn't help the "value" or, liquidity enough to matter.

As a shot at some form of upgrade whether it be star, +, or what have you I'd say its worth a go. Worst case scenario its tuition toward figuring out just what isn't Star material. Its very hard to say with toning unless it can be said with certainty that the photos reflect the look of the coin in hand. Coins that have attractive toning but only look good at one angle, or photos that may overstate the extent of toning can be a factor (not sure on this one because you didn't specify how the pic looks vs the toning in hand).

One observation in general, is that I have seen some CN Jefferson Nickels with what I would consider less than attractive toning with Stars. It could be different graders, different days, or it could be more the fact that a coin will be compared to its peers as to whether it deserves a Star or not. A CN Jefferson VS a Wartime Nickel VS a Peace Dollar VS a Morgan will all be judged differently.

The toning apparent on the coin in the photo is atypical, leaning towards attractive, and so long as THIS picture isn't a popped image it stands a good chance IMO.

I would see what CAC thinks on it; the submission would allow you to hopefully get their thoughts on it since they see so many of these.

I wouldn't. I don't see the coin getting a gold star. And a regular star probably wouldn't help the "value" or, liquidity enough to matter.

A gold star like in kindergarten or first grade? :devil: I am only joking...

The star is always hit or miss; it is inconsistently applied. I would leave it as is personally.

I would have to agree, no one is able to guess which coins will star or not, if it were my coin I would enjoy it as it is.

Ive seen Peace $ with toning that is no where near as attractive as this one get a star.

And Ive seen worse 66s as well. I wouldnt crack it out though.

Im not the best photographer but I gotta say this pic is a pretty good representation of the toning. The spottiness is a little bit accentuated by the photos though. Luster is a bit better in hand.

I wish NGC would offer a walk-through designation review at shows though. That makes me sad... (shrug)

I wish NGC would offer a walk-through designation review at shows though. That makes me sad... (shrug)

If you're looking for a walk through designation (which I think would be a silly amount of $ to pay for a coin of that value), why not just do a walkthrough grade review? If they think it's star-worthy, won't they give it a star via regrade?

Ive seen Peace $ with toning that is no where near as attractive as this one get a star.

And Ive seen worse 66s as well...

Then why ask for opinions?

If you're looking for a walk through designation (which I think would be a silly amount of $ to pay for a coin of that value), why not just do a walkthrough grade review? If they think it's star-worthy, won't they give it a star via regrade?

I dont know what you mean by "walkthrough grade review." There is no such service offered. If you mean "walkthrough grading" or "Regrade" I agree this coin isnt worth the $125 service charge. And you cannot cross with a request for a * or any designation for that matter.

But I have about 30-40 NGC coins that I would want to submit for just a designation review, not regrade. If NGC charged 2x ($24 per coin) for a walkthrough designation review their normal rate for a designation review ($12 per coin), I would do it. But alas they dont and I dont think $125 is worth it for designation review unless it was something like FBL, FT, FS, FH that has a definitive price increase with the designation. Alas, NGC has forsaken me...

Because of your signature...

Mark Feld of Heritage Auctions

Unless otherwise stated, the opinions I express here are my own.

I value your opinion above all others. I am sad when I cannot mentally place a (Mark Feld Approved) sticker on my coin... (worship)

I think it might get a "*" as it's hard to find nice toning on Peace dollars.

That being said, I would leave it as is. If/when you go to sell it, the coin should sell itself.

I value your opinion above all others. I am sad when I cannot mentally place a (Mark Feld Approved) sticker on my coin... (worship)

Thank you. I hereby award the coin a "Mark Feld thumbs up/seal of approval for color".

I voted don't bother but I would send it in for designation review for a possible star. It only costs $12 and an additional $8 for the invoice fee. I would try to send it with other coins to be graded so the postage/handling is reasonable.

For example this year I did a submission for 5 early bird and 6 designation review. This way it cost $7.09 per coin ($78/11 coins) instead of approx. $50 for 1 coin.

Doug

Thank you. I hereby award the coin a "Mark Feld thumbs up/seal of approval for color".

Great....yet ANOTHER approval service in the marketplace. Just what we need.... meh

:baiting:

jom

I don't see any reason to cross this coin over. It has an extreme amount of color for a Peace dollar, and it could get a STAR, but there is no guarantee. It cannot be graded from the images provided, so I cannot venture a guess on whether it is nicer than MS65. It would not hurt to submit it to CAC.

I will PM you my address so you can send me your little sticky for the slab. Thank you. lol...

Overall NGC * designated toned Peace $ do sell for a premium as compared to PCGS coins or even CAC designated PCGS coins so there is a financial benefit to it.

So I might, cross it and also cross my fingers it stars...or + or upgrades to an MS66.

There are 5 MS65* and 4 MS66* and 0 MS65+* toned Peace $. So it would be kinda cool to have a Pop 1 coin.

Why do you think NGC would upgrade it? I don't consider this coin better than MS65.

I don't like the gash like area on the cheek.

In my OP I explained the mark on the cheek was a toning line and not a hit/gash.

Why do you think NGC would upgrade it? I don't consider this coin better than MS65.

I don't like the gash like area on the cheek.

In my OP I explained the mark on the cheek was a toning line and not a hit/gash.

If you do end up sending it to NGC, please update the thread with the results.