• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit gold dollar recourse

6 posts in this topic

I brought back an 1862 gold dollar to the dealer I bought it from, invoice #2670234-001. Though it was a few weeks ago he did not remember. He wanted the dealer 2x2 that he uses so he could ascertain who palmed off the fake coin on him. It was fully lustrous, quite a good fake, I ran it by several knowledgeable people before submitting it with other coins who thought it would grade MS63 or better. Hopefully he has other records on the transaction as he said he had not bought a gold dollar in over a year. He marks on the back of his 2x2s initials of those he gets material from. I sent the coin in his flip to NGC with two other coins. Is there any chance that NGC would have a photo record of the 2x2 on that invoice?

I'm assuming NGC looked at the coin and made the determination it was a fake.

I can't imagine a situation where NGC would photograph coins upon arrival. It might be that it is recorded on video but if it didn't turn up missing when the box/bag was opened, there's no way they'd help by going back. Whatever they do in house is probably top secret for security reasons and there's nothing but downside for them IMO.

On submission the coin was identified as counterfeit. It was a damned good one as it fooled a number of people and the dealer that I brought it back to said he would not know how to identify such a coin as a fake. I don't have an image of it, too bad NGC does not take pictures of all coins submitted as they are charging for it, while ICG does not charge for uncertifiable coins. I will check with them next week if they have any additional record on the coin. PMG returns submitted currency sleeves and NGC before has looked through their photos in receiving for issues.

I always fear shipping coins in the mail since I might need proof with USPS that I really enclosed them in the box. I even like to have photos of all the postal stampings on all the adhesive-paper/box interfaces.

With Smartphones these days, it is so easy to document everything, and a time stamp from an iPhone is also part of the digital trail.

You want everything to go normally, but it doesn't always go as planned. Shipping raw coins (that sounds like what happened here) would make me even more leery.

Anyway, the dealer you bought it from has to jog his memory a little more. Sounds like he's suffering from selective memory loss, and this is one instance he'd rather forget, not that he's trying to weasel out, or anything.

Since you dealt with him face to face, and have an invoice, yet he doesn't remember you, you'll have to follow up until he gets tired of avoiding the situation?

He'll make good. Just be polite...but assertive.