• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions For New Registry Sets?

43 posts in this topic

I'd like to see some place for the early half dimes (1792 - 1805). I know that it is a rough series because I collect them, but the collectors of these can't be any more rare than those who collect Proof gold coins.

Hello Dena, hi.gif

Ha, I found the thread. devil.gif

My current suggestions are;

A- I would like to see more sets "with varieties" ;

For example 1909 - 1958 Lincoln's ( plain-without any varieties)

1909 - 1958 with var's.

and the short set too;

1934 - 1958 - plain

1934 - 1958 - with var's.

B- The 1950 -1964 Lincoln Proof set seems dumb to me. Just because Jefferson's, Roosevelts and Washington Quarters end in 1964, as a numismatist, it does not logically follow that Lincoln's should too. Nobody collects them this way IMO.

The difference in the Memorial vs Wheat reverse type is the logical cut off point in 1958. This makes a "short set" of Proof Wheats contain only 9-coins, 1950 - 1958, but this is fine with me, indeed much more preferrable.

Thank you,

Fergie.

I'd like to see the Standing Liberty Quarter category broken down as follows:

1 ) Basic Set / No Varieties

2) Complete Set / With Varieties

3) Basic Set / No Varieties / With Full Head

4) Complete Set / With Varieties / With Full Head

Barber Half Dollars:

1 ) Basic Set - No Varieties

2 ) Complete Set - With Varieties...ie: 1892-O Micro O; 1892-P TDR, 1907-S/s

Barber Dimes:

1 ) Basic Set

2 ) Complete Set - With Varieties...ie: 1893/2, 1905-O Micro O

Reduced Size Bust Quarters - 1831 - 1838

1 ) Basic Set

2 ) Browning Variety Set

Thanks !!

Mike

For all type sets - have a separate Proof category and Non-Proof category, similar to the 20th Century Type sets.

I second his motion Re; type sets with and without proofs.

Perhaps NGC should have a way to recognize those sets put together by the younger collectors?

Excellent suggestion and I second the motion.

Perhaps your ties to ANA can be utilized for a YN Registry set.

Very,very good idea ! thumbsup2.gif

How about a special slabbing promotion for YN's.

An ANA convention event...etc.

Anybody care to further the motion and add idea's please do.

Fergie.

A combined US type set including gold and excluding moderns would be great (1793-1933).

Sounds like a natural to me. thumbsup2.gif

Type with gold ending in 1933, the Classic Type Collection.

I like it and second the motion. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Fergie.

Perhaps NGC should have a way to recognize those sets put together by the younger collectors?

Fergie.

Excellent idea!!!!! Except ... what about age verification? I could say I'm 12 and how could it be proved otherwise - or - I could give all my slabs and submissions to my kid in namesake? sorry.gif

A combined US type set including gold and excluding moderns would be great (1793-1933).

Sounds like a natural to me. thumbsup2.gif

Type with gold ending in 1933, the Classic Type Collection.

I like it and second the motion. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Fergie.

Or - a 19th Century Type set with and without gold - AND - Proofs Only, Non-Proofs Only and both combined.

Fergie.

Excellent idea!!!!! Except ... what about age verification? I could say I'm 12 and how could it be proved otherwise - or - I could give all my slabs and submissions to my kid in namesake? sorry.gif

I dunno AL_E_Gator cool.gif

Lets see, for age verification, we can leave that up to ANA, they already register kids as YN's.

Then, NGC and ANA can promote an annual event at the convention.

During the year the YN's can register with ANA first and then with NGC.

NGC can give the participants a few free grading coupons maybe.

Dealer participation can be done by signing up the kids with promo's offering the free grading. Maybe they would give the kids a free coin worth the sign-up costs.

Or however they wish to do it. Maybe they donate the Convention prizes.

It would be uber cool if NGC would put out special YN labeled slabs ! cloud9.gif

I'm sure they would be highly sought after items, and treasured by the kiddo's forever. flowerred.gif

Well, what can I say, looks like a slam dunk triple win ! thumbsup2.gif

Fergie.

As far as the registry , in general , is there any chance that , well , after someone has reached the top level and earned a 'Top' set award for a particular year , those coins and set(s) go into a non-competitive arena where they can be displayed and recognized and viewed as long as the owner(s) keep it listed and intact ?

I'm not attempting to downgrade or take away any esteem , but in other competitions , like the Olympics or Pro-football for example , the country/person/team that won an event the previous year , has to compete again in the next competition , but their previous records are still in place until another goes beyond the set milestone. With coin competitions , like sports , you go with what you have and can improve upon....new quarterback , same lineman , new member of the skate team,etc....and if a current top set ranked #1 ( versus a merit based set of best described,etc) could be moved to a 'hall of fame' category to remain recognized as a top set for as long as the owner(s) keep it intact...., but no longer within the developing set category , then more people could reach for the stars....unlike the present condition of where the top set has the only top 20 graded coins in any category in existence and can only be surpassed when and only if the owner ever decides to remove said coins and dispose of them.

I'm suggesting to offer a new category of hall of famers sets from each category to relieve the positions of #1 sets held by 6 different owners in each category where they are beginning to stack up . This movement would open up an opportunity for new sets to obtain recognition via setting criteria such as: for a set to reach and earn a title of best of category, it must have a minimum number of coins depending on each set category, and the cumilative set score should be above and beyond those of the other sets competing for that year's recognition....this said...if no sets reach the top level for that category for that year based on said criteria...none are awarded the top set recognition and moved to the hall of fame section.

A top set is a TOP set and placement into a hall of fame category where it can never lose its glory ( unless it is removed by owner(s) ) , is not a step down . Each set would retain its rightfully earned title and be given a spot where it can remain to be viewed and enjoyed by everyone ( obscurred sets not allowed into the hall of fame category).

I'm not implying that you should 'dumb-down' the criteria for reaching top set status either....for any new set competing for such title to earn said title , it would still have to justifiably meet a rigid standard to earn the right to a title and then be raised into the hall of fame section .

I'm tired from a long day and haven't given the idea a thorough run-down , but you get the gist of what I'm saying , and more importantly , I hope I'm not stomping on anyone's toes as this could be a hot issue .

On a side note , how about a FBL Franklin , FH SLQ , FS Jeff , FT roosie , FB Merc , and etc categories ? or all 'one year-of' sets? Sure these can be built into signature sets , but until there are better links to find these sets for viewing , they are more like 'elusive' sets IMHO .