• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thursday At Long Beach

12 posts in this topic

Warning, this is stream of consciousness post.

It was busy, though I got the impression there was far more dealer-to-dealer transactions going on than with collectors, though there were plenty of collectors on the floor.

Not as much material as the last LB Show I attended. Of note:

1) The 3 Barber Half Registry sets @ the PCGS Table

2) Mike Bob's AU 50-58 Set of Bust $s (not for sale)

3) Osburn had a nice spread of AU Capped Bust Halves

4) Wayne Herndon had a nice spread of type Liberty Nickels in PC 6 (Business Strikes)

5) LOTS of Classic Coin Proof Type Available - Seated & Barber Material & Liberty Nickels

6) More booth babes (but I didn't see Cameron anywhere)

Was at the opening of the Heritage 12:30 auction. Got my Draped Bust Dime at its Reserve (not cheap, but a nice coin). In the 1/2 hour I was there (Jefferson Nickels, Half Dimes & some early dimes), many lots did not sell.

Not as much mint state Barber material as last time, except for a few really nice halves at the Laibstein and Pinnacle tables. Passed on a nice Capped Bust Half in 5 because I was intimidated by the HUGE spread between grey & blue sheets for the coin (grey is almost 2X blue).

No bargains I could see. Could not find a nice type Barber Half at a price I was willing to pay, though I saw a few of them available. Dr. Pete showed me the nicest Barber Half I've ever seen (an 06 S in NGC 9 which was so beautiful, I can't describe it). Pinnacle had an 06 D which was the nicest Barber Half in a 5 holder I've ever seen.

Picked up an 04 Liberty Nickel in PC 6 that's a PQ coin from Wayne Herndon.

Finally met TDN and Jim Stoutjestyk at Heritage, chatted with Tom Killian, Strat, Frank Greenberg of Delaware Valley Rare Coins (BTW, Mary Sauvain now works for DVRC) and David Weygandt.

Thanks again, Truthteller, for giving me a second opinion re a few potential purchases.

That was a nice report, sorry I missed you today.

Here's my LB report (toungue in cheek but true!):

10:00 Arrive at Karl Stephens' table and begin picking out high grade foreign coins.

6:45 Finish picking stuff out of Karl's inventory, pay and head home.

-JamminJ

10:00 Arrive at Karl Stephens' table and begin picking out high grade foreign coins.

-JamminJ

confused.gif I think you stole my Long Beach report.

-JamminJ

confused.gif I think you stole my Long Beach report.

27_laughing.gif

Your's would have been a bit more interesting, yuo did take some time out to caht with Mark Feld and to look at a coin for jom. I didn't move for the whole day!

-JamminJ

I didn't move for the whole day!

This is true folks! Jammin' and Greg sent a robot body-doubles to have lunch for themselves. It was pretty strange watching a robots eat lunch...oh...wait...maybe it was the robots who were at the coin table all day. Hmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom