• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats your reason for doing a registry set

14 posts in this topic

1. To be NUMBER 1, because I know I'm the best!! sumo.gif

2. To show off all my "Pop Top" coins and rub all your noses in it. 27_laughing.gif

3. To show off my elite collecting skills and the depth of my wallet. headbang.gif

And if you believe any of that, you can check out the links in my sig line to set your self straight.

I just started participating a couple of months ago. My sole goal was to share my coins with other interested collectors. The best way to learn about coins is to look at as many as you can. If you can't see them in person, then images are better than nothing.

I personally won't list a coin without an image. I also try to add a description, though I still need to add that on some coins. I hate the sets with no picture or description, or the only description simply repeats the grade or the pop count. These are totally useless for sharing knowledge and the fun of collecting.

With no image or description you have to default back to 1-3 above. frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifforeheadslap.gif

Now, ask me how I really feel about it. grin.gif

1. To be NUMBER 1, because I know I'm the best!!

Beg your pardon, but I think you have mistaken yourself for meeee. foreheadslap.gif

O.k., O.k., I’ll cut the high jinx and get down to business, but please remove your finger from my eye. stooges.gif

1) I saw the registry as a great opportunity to share my coin collection with others and be able to check out their prides and joys. thumbsup2.gif

2) Learn more about collecting coins. acclaim.gif

3) Make some cyber friends to enjoy the hobby with. hi.gif

4) Mix my hobby of coin collecting with another of hobby mine, photography, although that’s turning out to be more involved than I first thought, but I think I’m starting to get results that feel convey the look of coins pretty good,(for photos that is). In time I plan on having my whole collection imaged and described, but sometimes I need a little poke. sleeping.gif

I agree with you RGT, that registry sets without photos and descriptions, they're useless, why bother? confused-smiley-013.gif.

I like to keep track of what I have since I collect so many different US coin series. The Registry helps me do that and stay on track with set completions since I tend to wander a lot with my collecting focus.

I can't see a day where I will be in the top 10 of any set and frankly I don't care. I do try to buy the best I can afford, but I won't shell out large sums of money for say an MS68 coin when an MS65-MS66 coins will fit just fine.

I'm putting together my Registry Sets so I can share my coins with others. What good is having a collection you've been taking such care in assembling if it just sits behind lock and key? Sharing is awsome!! The sets have given me a goal rather than my old habit of accumulating this n that. The only downer is I now have to send my unceritified coins in- part of the NGC master plan no doubt.

I'm having a great time taking photos and writing descriptions, it's really fun and forcing me to take a new look at some issues I used to think of as "filler" such as the .03 types. Now that I've been looking at them more carefully they're really beautiful.

:P893blahblah.gif

I do not get out much (just kidding)!

I think that the Registry sets helped me clarify my practical collecting objectives and to also gain perspective of and knowledge about other "collectors". I also tend to be an accumulator sometimes, so having sets gives me accomplishment boundaries.

I enjoy reading the threads here also and reflecting on other people's collecting ideas and motivations.

I just do it on the off chance that someone might benefit from what I have already learned and vice versa. Amazingly enough, I've actually met a few folks online through the registry, and we share stories and advice now. I have no delusions of being the best etc. as my pockets aren't nearly deep enough for that!

I like it as another way to inventory my coins as well as to share in the hobby with others. I just got a new camera so I'm looking forward to adding pics to my sets. I'm lucky enough to be in the top ten with my Lincoln set and adding pics will be cool. My only pet peave is with sets that are obscured, I wish that feature was'nt allowed.

Chris

I guess people have reasons for obscuring sets, but it does not contribute much to appreciation of their sets. Plus, it would be nice to see their coins.

I have always shown the good, bad and the ugly.

• Administrator
Cause I didn't want to just sit in a vault like Uncle Scrooge McDuck, snickering, as I ran my fingers through the stack of slabs filled with gold.

insane.gif

lol! That might be the best answer I've ever read to that question!