• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newest Addition: 1643 (7th) Bell Taler

7 posts in this topic

Here is my most recent addition to my collection. It is a 1643 German (Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel) Bell Taler struck under August II (1634-1666). Cataloged by Davenport as #6375 (or KM-429 in the Krause).

It's referred to as the 7th Bell Taler since there were 6 previous version of a taler with a bell design on it. This appears to be the most common of the 7 bell talers.

The obverse features TANDEM PATIENTIA VICTRIX surrounding a bell rung by three hands, a cityscape and the sun above the shore and breakwaters.

The reverse features AUGUSTUS HERTZOG ZU BRAUNS UND LUN surrounding five helmets above an eleven-fold coat of arms.

belltaler.jpg

This coin is fully uncirculated with minimal marks. Overall, it has a nice strike and wonderful original color gracing the surfaces. It will likely grade MS63/64 at NGC which is where it is going to be sent for grading in a few days.

Didn't mean to only joke... sorry.gif ...because I like the coin quite a lot. Very pretty design. Can you provide a good translation on the obverse, somethng like "together fathers victorious"? And would you happen to know the politics of the time, prevailing states, etc? Do I ask too much?

But does it have full bell lines? insane.gif

Hoot

Can you provide a good translation on the obverse, somethng like "together fathers victorious"?

No idea.

And would you happen to know the politics of the time,

No idea.

prevailing states

No idea.

Do I ask too much?

Yes.

As you can see I know nothing about what the coin is about or why it was made. I'm a real history buff about it. wink.gif

Seriously, maybe JamminJ will have some insight into this coin. I just know it looks really cool and is in great condition. When I have some free time I'll look more into the history of all 7 Bell talers.

But does it have full bell lines? insane.gif

Yes. When it goes into NGC I will request they list the FBL designation for this coin.

Here's a start with the legends, I'll see if I can dig up anything else later on.

TANDEM PATIENTIA VICTRIX = At last patience will be victorious

AUGUSTUS HERTZOG ZU BRAUNS UND LUN = Augustus* Duke of Brunswick and Luneberg

-JamminJ

*great name there!