• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My favorite coin of the week: 6/28/15

8 posts in this topic

vTpmnWLRhqzLwCtOrvfF_1936%20Texas%20Commemorative%20-%20white.jpg

1936%2BTexas%2BCommemorative%2Brev%2B%2528half%2Bsize%2529.jpg

1936 Texas Commemorative Half Dollar

Mintage: 8,911

Obverse Designer: Pompeo Coppini

Reverse Designer: Pompeo Coppini

I've been eyeing this Silver Commemorative for awhile now and finally found one that I couldn't pass up at a Coin Show this weekend. I don't know if there's another reverse on any coin that I like more than this one! For me, it's one of the most dramatic US minted coins and a beautiful representation of the goddess Victory.

My Texas Commemorative is graded by NGC and has that classic yellowish-gold toning contrasting against areas of bright sliver. This coin almost looks wet and has blinding luster for days. Very clean surfaces that are nearly free of any dings or marks. A beautiful gem to look at in hand.

Minted to celebrate 100 years of Texas Independence from Mexico. Texas declared it's Independence from Mexico on March 2, 1836. Although Texan's won their freedom after the Battle of San Jacinto on April 21, near Houston, it's the Battle at Alamo that has become legend. The Mexican forces overran the Alamo on March 6th, and despite taking heavy losses, defeated the rebels and secured the Alamo. Although a few escaped to report what had happened, some 187 Texans were killed, including the now-legendary figures of Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett, and William Travis. This Commemorative was designed by Pompeo Coppini, a Texan. The obverse depicts an Eagle sitting on a branch in front of the Lone Star, the symbol of Texas. The reverse depicts the goddess Victory spreading her wings over the Alamo. It also depicts Sam Houston on her left and Stephen F. Austin on her right. The Six Flags of Texas fly above her head.

Interesting Events in 1936:

• 1st electron tube to enable night vision described, St Louis, Mo

• 1st players elected to Baseball Hall of Fame: Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson & Walter Johnson

• 1st NFL draft, Eagles select Heisman Trophy winner Jay Berwanger. He never plays in the NFL

• 1st radioactive substance produced synthetically (radium E)

• The world's first superhero, The Phantom, a cartoon strip by Lee Falk, makes his first appearance in comics.

• Hitler introduces Ferdinand Porsche's "Volkswagen"

• FDR signs 2nd neutrality act

• The Hoover Dam is completed.