• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with Morgan Grade

8 posts in this topic

I really don't know that much about Morgan grades. I see something graded an MS66 and then I see an MS63 that I think is much prettier than the 66. So I was hoping there are some people out there that can take a look at this coin and see if it might be worth sending in and paying to grade it. I am specifically concerned about the scuff on the reverse under the left wing.

I know grading is subjective so no pressure, just need some input from those that love Morgans. Thanks!

7ripzfb0RH2CRr33L9eX_1898%20morgan2.JPG

6zPTJvehRsq4BK6EY93l_1898%20morgan%20b2.JPG

dOwRTFrkTJrc5QBZKOH0_1898%20scuff.JPG

I say AU 55 or 58...... I have the ANA grading standards book and am so new at this, do not trust me. Let someone else say. If you get a second person to agree with me, remember I told you first.

Thank you all so much...your opinions are greatly appreciated!

I agree with the others. This is definitely an AU coin at best.

Chris

One more comment. I do not own a single morgan, but I was able to read what was required for different grades from the ANA grading standards book and come up with a grade that others with experience felt was acceptable. Consider purchasing this book or an equivalent. I am still awful at grading without it because I can not remember everything that goes into grading but it gives us new guys a shot.

I am an avid Morgan collector and I would call that an AU55. It may also have some tooling in the area of concern which might prevent a straight grade. Anyway, it isn't worth it to find out.