• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Louis-Oscar Roty birthday wishes

4 posts in this topic

One of the reasons why I collect coins is because of the artistry. Many of the designs over the more than 2500 years of coinage are just stunning. Of the the truly brilliant artists of the 19th and 20th century was Louis-Oscar Roty. He was born 169 years ago today, on 11 Jun 1846.

While Roty is best known for his "Semeuse" (sower) design used on French coins for more than a century, he had a prolific career in the medallic arts, and was very influential in the generation of medallic artists who came after him. He mentored Victor David Brenner, who would go on to design the very famous and well known Lincoln Cent -- and it is thought by many that Roty's "Semeuse" work inspired Adolph Weinman's Walking Liberty half dollar design introduced in 1916.

I have a small collection of the Sowers in the 1 Franc denomination, and they are among the most beautiful coins in my collection.

Post-em-if-you-got-em -- Let's give some respect to Roty today!

Best, Brandon

===================================

1898_France_1F_NGC_PF64MATTE_composite_zpsdwfkbkn7.jpg

1898_France_1Franc_NGC_MS65_composite_zps0a78c33f.jpg

1909_France_1F_PCGS_MS65_composite_zpswwrwiioo.jpg

1914_France_1Franc_NGC_MS64_composite_zps86ae1b9c.jpg

1918_France_1F_NGC_MS65_toned_composite_zpsy6qrcsck.jpg

1919_France_1Franc_PCGS_MS66_Toned_composite_zpsc2d23270.jpg

1920_France_1Franc_NGC_MS65_toned_composite_zps352f8714.jpg