• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Missouri Centennial Memorial Half Dollar

9 posts in this topic

I'm not much into all the varieties in the 144 set. There are three that I am interested in:

Alabama 2x2, Grant star, and Missouri 2x4.

I had a real nice Alabama 2x2 but sold it.

Alabama_ComboB.jpg

Santa_Fe_Mag_July1921_p67_edited-1.jpg

July 1921

Please post a 1921 dated coin you enjoy. :)

Leeg- The Missouri you posted is the right coin with the right look with the right grade. One of the 2 grading companies, acceptable to me, and it has the sticker. Everything lines up.

Although many people now view the "old commemoratives" (1892 - 1954) as "common" and easy to find, there are a few issues that are hard to find nice with an original look. The Missouri half dollar is high on that list. Here is a piece I've had for many years that is graded MS-64.

MissouriO.jpgMissouriR.jpg

These coins were issued before the commemorative series became popular with collectors. A lot of them were bought by farmers who put them in their overalls and did not take good care of them. This is especially true of the "plain" variety. The 2*4 was sold at banks from what I've read and tends to be a little easier to find nice.

Although many people now view the "old commemoratives" (1892 - 1954) as "common" and easy to find, there are a few issues that are hard to find nice with an original look. The Missouri half dollar is high on that list. Here is a piece I've had for many years that is graded MS-64.

MissouriO.jpgMissouriR.jpg

These coins were issued before the commemorative series became popular with collectors. A lot of them were bought by farmers who put them in their overalls and did not take good care of them. This is especially true of the "plain" variety. The 2*4 was sold at banks from what I've read and tends to be a little easier to find nice.

You're spot on Bill and a very nice Missouri you have there.

I purchased this raw Missouri from a Stacks Bowers Auction:

missouriobvA.jpg

Stacks Bowers stated it was an MS-64, and they were right. I bought raw, had it graded, then sold it.

Here is my Alabama half dollar. It's nice, but not as nice as the one leeg has in his collection. If you are looking for one of these coins, try to find one with well struck feathers for the eagle on the reverse. Not all of them have that.

AlabamaO.jpgAlabamaR.jpg

Robert I. Aitken designed and modled the 1921 Missouri half dollar. Here are some early images of his work:

IMGP0689A.jpg

IMGP0688A.jpg

IMGP0687A.jpg

IMGP0686A.jpg

IMGP0685A1.jpg

IMGP0684A1.jpg