• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT TO DO? posted by Eagles-R-it

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I AM BESIDE MYSELF.

I sent some coins in to be conserved and graded, and of course no one is ever happy. But I believe that one was damaged while in others hands. It came back as a PF68. Now no one ever sends in coins that they feel will not get a PF70 when you are dealing with modern day commemoratives. Because of the expense of acquiring the coins then 30 plus each for grading etc. One looks them over very skeptically before sending them in to be assured as best as they can they get the best results. Also half of the capsules were broken, and broken in the exact same way in appearance. 10 sent in and 5 busted capsules. I called and really did not get anywhere so I hung up in frustration. It seems that their theory is damage occurred during transit between me and the destination.

I guess that is a possibility, except that I over pack to protect them, I have sent hundreds of packages containing coins, and not one was damaged in all that time. I would think that if MY package was damaged when they got it that I would have been notified, but I was not informed as such.

My question is this: Has anyone ever been notified that someone accidentally dropped or damaged a coin you sent in for grading/conservation? If so how was it explained to you and what was the outcome?

Pardon my rant, but I am absolutely dismayed by this recent submission. I know after I post this, I will have thought of things I should have said, and perhaps found better was to express myself, but that's the way it goes.

And to top it all, most of the coins I can sell for more money raw than graded PF69. That is why I wanted the OGP back. To sell the ones that I could sell raw again by breaking up the slab to try and recoup some of the loss.

Yes I am prepared for the negative feedback, so let me have it.

16637.JPG

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

I may be able to get you some capsules. There is a possibility that the empty capsules were packed bad for return home from NGC and got cracked after grading was complete.

I only had it once where I sent in a submission and the coin came back a PF68 with a greasy finger smudge across the obverse of the coin. Thing is, in my case anyway, it could have been customs at the border opening the package up and inspecting it.

I'd imagine that the quality control at NGC is pretty stringent, considering the value of the coins they are grading.

Last year I had sent in a 1945P Jefferson, nickle to be graded and it came back as a DDR, FS801 MS-66, and it came with a BIG thumb print on the back. I was told that it was there before it was graded. If it was the thumb print was on the back before it was graded, how did it receive a MS-66. This is not the first time this happened. Don

I take pics of coins before sending them in now--only twice have I found scratches or prints on them that were not there before--I have gotten several PF67's and 68's over the years from mint packaged coins.

The one's that burn me are that I have gotten at least 5+ " improperly cleaned" coins that had never been out of their unopened mint packaging/capsules--

All of these instances are over 3 years ago though and it has been several submissions since I have had an issue like a hair in the slab--the reverse in front--the labels misspelled etc etc

I have sent in two high value coins lately that have been devalued in this manner. They had not been out of the mint capsule and came back as improperly cleaned. All you can do is hope the grading company you choose doesn't drop or rub on them. Very frustrating but? Choose grading company wisely. As for me when my membership is up for renewal I will be changing to a different grading company.