• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC pulls American Eagle Limited Edition slot from registry.

16 posts in this topic

NGC had added a slot in the American Eagle All Varieties set for the 2014 Limited edition Silver set. I even inquired about it at ask NGC, to see how to get the certification. They produced a page for how to get those certified. You had to send them in the mint seal shipping packaging. I followed all the rules and sent in 4 sets. Cost to me overall about 1300.00

Now they say it was too difficult for people to do and have removed the slot from the registry. I bought and certified 4 sets so I could get a ms70. I had hoped to later sell the rest. Now they have pulled the rug out from under the value of the set by removing the registry slots.

I lost interest in slots when they started giving out paper tickets instead of silver dollars.

I lost interest in slots when they started giving out paper tickets instead of silver dollars.

Look at the bright side, Roger. At least with the ticket in/ticket out technology, you didn't have to wash your hands twice while in the bathroom.

Chris

NGC had added a slot in the American Eagle All Varieties set for the 2014 Limited edition Silver set. I even inquired about it at ask NGC, to see how to get the certification. They produced a page for how to get those certified. You had to send them in the mint seal shipping packaging. I followed all the rules and sent in 4 sets. Cost to me overall about 1300.00

Now they say it was too difficult for people to do and have removed the slot from the registry. I bought and certified 4 sets so I could get a ms70. I had hoped to later sell the rest. Now they have pulled the rug out from under the value of the set by removing the registry slots.

I'm not sure how to reply to this post. If the "value" of a coin depends on some arbitrary set of holes in a registry set, then maybe you should rethink spending inordinate amounts of money on filling those holes. How much is this coin worth outside of the plastic with a magical MS70 label?

I do own some "modern conditional rarities" but I bought them being completely aware that the "rarity"-value could collapse. When one plays games with the endless garbage coming out of the mint, one is bound to eventually get burned.

I don't think NGC is liable for anything here. They make decisions as to what they include in their sets. It's their registry, so they can make that decision...nothing stopping you from creating a custom set to display your items if they really are of great value to you in having a "complete" set. (shrug)

If I thought the category would create too many problems, I would eliminate it, too. You can't please everyone.

Chris

I think they should have put some thought into it before creating the slot. Then they promoted the coins for weeks on their rolling banner. I was just trying to obtain coins for those slot they created. They could have at least written me and told me what they did and asked if I still wanted to certify those coins. At which I would have said no. If the coins are not going to be part of the registry I would have just kept them in their mint packaging and not spent the money to certify them.

As for anyone that does not think the the certification make the value of the coin, I will send you some raw ms67 (my opinion) quarters for your certified ms67 quarters. Ms70 is not the only grade for which certification creates value.

As for anyone that does not think the the certification make the value of the coin, I will send you some raw ms67 (my opinion) quarters for your certified ms67 quarters.

Why would anyone in their right mind spend the money for certified 67's and then trade them to you for raw coins? I had dozens of certified MS67 SQ's (business strikes) and the only reason I didn't lose my butt on them was because I got quite a few MS68's out of the submissions to offset the cost.

Chris

"At least with the ticket in/ticket out technology, you didn't have to wash your hands twice while in the bathroom."

Ohhh....I thought that's what they had those bottomless buffets for....

precisely..

I was making a point to the person who said that the certification does not matter...

You're taking Brandon's comment out of context and using it to justify your convoluted way of thinking.

How much is this coin worth outside of the plastic with a magical MS70 label?

So, your claim about certified & raw 67's is pointless.

Chris

Maybe my brain is tired, but I'm having a hard time following some of the back & forth here on the boards lately.

Concerning the OP's original problem, yeah, it sucks, but really?

I have a hard enough time swallowing that a significant part of a coin's value depends on plastic and stickers. It's even more of a stretch to be leveraged against a computer registry. In this case, I think the eventual effect of this to the resale value will be rather limited. Despite what you might think from hanging out on TPG forums, only a small minority of collectors pay any attention to the registry game.

Maybe my brain is tired, but I'm having a hard time following some of the back & forth here on the boards lately.

Concerning the OP's original problem, yeah, it sucks, but really?

I have a hard enough time swallowing that a significant part of a coin's value depends on plastic and stickers. It's even more of a stretch to be leveraged against a computer registry. In this case, I think the eventual effect of this to the resale value will be rather limited. Despite what you might think from hanging out on TPG forums, only a small minority of collectors pay any attention to the registry game.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

As for anyone that does not think the the certification make the value of the coin, I will send you some raw ms67 (my opinion) quarters for your certified ms67 quarters.

Well if I had any certified MS 67 I'd be willing to take you up on that, as long as I like the raw quarters better than the ones I was sending you. The certification doesn't mean anything, it's which ones you like more.

Some unfair comments within this thread. Doesn't really matter if you personally collect "registry points/coins" or not.

NGC promotes this side of the hobby and there are those who enjoy that aspect.

Really, if NGC had changed the rules within your personal subset of coin collecting you might be a bit perturbed too.

I agree with the OP. Not even a quick phone call or email to confirm the OP's grading order after NGC changed the rules (after promoting the heck out of it).

Again, take your personal beliefs out of the equation (we get you don't like the 'registry game' and look at it without those blinders on.

The OP got rodgered, but good.

Again, take your personal beliefs out of the equation (we get you don't like the 'registry game' and look at it without those blinders on.

Fair enough. My first belief that I will remove is that an open ( also requires a closed ). :baiting:

Looking at this objectively, the OP is playing a game where the rules are dictated by a company looking to make the most money possible. The OP should have anticipated that the rules of the game could change to help the company achieve its objective.

If the slot was extremely hard to fill, not due to the rarity of the coin, but rather due to the burdensome process of achieving a special insert, then it seems logical that the rules maker should ease this up. Sucks for OP that it happened to him after he jumped thru all the hoops, but someone has to be the guinea pig.