• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Now?

15 posts in this topic

I came across a 1901 S Morgan Dollar, gold plated, at an estate sale. There were only a handful of coins there and most everyone was ignoring them. The people in charge of the sale could not vouch for the coins authenticity so I got it for next to nothing. The coin would probably grade as AU and it weighs 25.71 grams, the lettering numbers and details look to be OK and it is not magnetic. But I still question if it is authentic since I can't see the actual surface. How would I go about getting it authenticated. There aren't any coin dealers in the immediate area that I would trust.

I've attached pictures, but I had to use the lowest resolution on my camera and the pictures look flat! What is the secret to attaching high resolution pictures on this forum?

154866.jpg.e49ed102dcc01deeed1899420a98e96e.jpg

154867.jpg.b2d189d96d4428a3a3ac02d8c871a250.jpg

I don't get it.

If it's gold-plated isn't that "end of discussion"? What can you possibly be hoping for?

Lance.

Is it silver? Sell as scrap. Is it authentic? Sell it as a place holder to a beginner. The alternative is toss it in the garbage.

Well, I'll h ave to say that this coin is not AU, it's actually damaged. It has been harshly cleaned and is polished. Worth about $12 in silver, if it's authentic.

something is off on this item

the area around ear and eagle chest show a coin around VF30 or lower

http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/1901-s-1-vf30-ngc-ngc-census-11-2113-pcgs-population-9-3236-mintage-2-284-000-numismedia-wsl-price-for-problem/a/131308-28423.s?hdnJumpToLot=1x=0&y=0

the denticles and edge look much better (wear mismatch)

the date digits look funny to me, but could be the angle

I suspect a reproduction

If someone selling something says they do not know if it is real, that usually tells me they know it is not

I've attached pictures, but I had to use the lowest resolution on my camera and the pictures look flat! What is the secret to attaching high resolution pictures on this forum?

The images are a bit blurry, but unfortunately, this seems to be a fake.

Yea, I would think that with even a moderate amount of wear, that with the gold plating it ought to weigh just over 26 g. I suspected a reproduction, but all of the other reproductions I've come across weighed less than 25 grams and I've never seen a reproduction for a 1901 S in any of my research.

It will go into the trash. Thanks to all.