• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

59 D Lincoln clash die?

8 posts in this topic

Post mint damage. not a clashed die.

A die clash error happens when the coin dies come together in the coining press without a planchet between them. This causes an imprint of each die to be left on the opposing die face. For example, an impression of the obverse die is left on the reverse die, and vice versa. Although the Mint usually makes an effort to clean up these marks, they are sometimes visible on the coins themselves.

See http://coins.about.com/od/coinsglossary/g/die_clash_error.htm

A die clash occurs when a planchet fails to enter the coining chamber, and the faces of both dies strike one another. The silhouette of some of the devices from one die are transferred to the other die. Sometimes these silhouettes will appear on both obverse and reverse dies, and sometimes they will appear on only one die. There is no rhyme nor reason to it when it occurs. Once the clash occurs, any planchets struck subsequently will bear the impression of the silhouette. NOTE: If you want to see some actual die clashes, go to VAMWorld and browse through the Morgan Dollar listings.

Those are not die clashes on your coin. Note that some of the metal along the edge appears to be raised. This displaced metal is similar to the debris displaced from an impact crater. If it had been a true die clash, the surfaces of the two dies would prevent this from happening.

It looks like PMD to me. Someone probably tried to make a fake clash by hammering one coin between two others.

Chris

Hmmm.... this is one coin in a half original roll.

What about the reverse?

Half a roll? Doesn't make any difference.

What about the reverse? If this coin was sandwiched between two other coins, you would expect to see damage to both sides.

Chris

post mint damage

wheel marks from a mechanical coin counter after that rolled by the bank

my opinion now I would need to see the coin in hand sight seen to confirm the above

also please read my signature post below