• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four years and 250 horses later...

14 posts in this topic

250th addition!

In early 2011 I started a thematic collection of coins, tokens, medals, and all things "numismatic" related to horses. The set reached the 250th item last week when I added a new British Medal -- nearly 4 years to the day of when I first created the set. The reverse of the medal is pictured below, and I will post pictures of both sides in the chat forum.

This new addition is number 31 in the series of historical medals issued by James Mudie in 1820. In his reference (Mudie J. An Historical and Critical Account of a Grand Series of National Medals. London 1820, pp. 125-126) the medal is described as:

OBVERSE: His Royal Highness the Duke of Cambridge

REVERSE: Entry of the English into Hanover, which is here allegorized by Britannia giving succour to the Hanoverian Horses.

===========================================

A bit more historical information from the Numismatic Chronicle (1888, Volume 8; pp. 262-263).

This is one of Mudie's series of national medals. Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge, son of George III and Queen Charlotte, born 24 Feb., 1774, was in 1793 appointed colonel in the Hanoverian army. He served in the campaign of 1794-5, and in 1803 was appointed Colonel-in-Chief of the King's German legions, a force in British pay, and destined to relieve Hanover then menaced by the French armies. The Duke of Cambridge, however, soon transferred his command to Count Walmoden, and coming to England was charged with superintendence of a home district. In 1814, when the French were expelled from Hanover, the Duke again took command of the electorate, which under the Treaty of Vienna was elevated to the rank of a kingdom, the Duke being appointed Governor-General in 1816. He continued to discharge these important duties till the year 1837 when the death of William IV. placed Hanover under the rule of the next male heir, the Duke of Cumberland. The Duke afterwards took up his residence at Cambridge House, Piccadilly, where he died 8 July, 1850. He was very popular in this country, and for many years was regarded as emphatically the connecting link between the throne and the people.

===========================================

PCGS SP65, 41mm (BHM-777, Eimer-1058, Mudie-31)

16589.jpg

See more journals by The BRG Collection

Great piece and great accomplishment on building a set like that. I've seen the pieces you've posted here and they're awesome.

Great piece and great accomplishment on building a set like that. I've seen the pieces you've posted here and they're awesome.

+1

Excellent write up too. I was just reading about that a couple of weeks ago when I purchased a couple of British pieces and was reading to learn more about them. (thumbs u

250! :headbang:

That is an amazing accomplishment Brandon, that is to find and buy so many horse themed coins in four years! I just don't know how you find all these. Incidentally, I perused your set earlier this week because I forgot the name "Heraldic Art" in an E-Bay search. Since I knew you had these medals, I knew I could click on your "Horses" set, find the Kansas statehood medal, (I think the Kansas medal is my favorite), and retrieve the name. I was shocked that your set has 17 pages and that I didn't know which page the Kansas medal was on. Oh well, I wasn't in a hurry and I thoroughly enjoyed going through each and every page!

Oh, by the way, the reason I was searching E-Bay listings was for something to spend my E-Bay bucks on. As I perused the Heraldic Art medal listings, I decided to buy the St. Lawrence Seaway medal graded NGC MS-66 for my "Inspirational Ladies" set. I'll be posting it when it arrives, but don't hold your breath, the seller lives in Hawaii! All the best!

Gary

Brandon--To have acquired 250 items in 4 short years is an AMAZING feat!! To have items that are of the quality and beauty of yours is even more incredible!! Congrats and keep up the great work!!! :applause:

That is a nice medal! Did you get it from Atlas? I was looking at one in their inventory at Baltimore...I REALLY wanted it, but for no concrete collecting reason other than it was amazing. I passed, then saw it was sold on their site. If that's the same one, then I am doubly glad I didn't buy it on a whim--it deserves to be part of a bigger collection.

That is a nice medal! Did you get it from Atlas? I was looking at one in their inventory at Baltimore...I REALLY wanted it, but for no concrete collecting reason other than it was amazing. I passed, then saw it was sold on their site. If that's the same one, then I am doubly glad I didn't buy it on a whim--it deserves to be part of a bigger collection.

Yep, it's from Atlas. :grin: