• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossover Grades Back

22 posts in this topic

I have three coins that I wanted to send to PCGS. They are part of my type set and I've had them for years now. As I owned them that long and grading standards have changed, I thought that I'd try to cross them over to PCGS and see how I made out. Here's what happened:

1. 1875 S 20 cents ANACS 50 (1989/90 white holder) - PCGS 55

2. 1911 $5.00 gold Indian ANACS 58 (newer white holder) - PCGS 61

3. 1853 $1.00 gold coin NGC 58 - PCGS 61

All in all, I'm pleased with the results. I was hoping that the 20 cent piece might go a little higher, but it's a beautifully toned coin so PCGS 55 is fine. I submitted them in their holders and I was worried that the NGC gold dollar might not turn out too well as I've been told that sending a coin in an NGC holder to PCGS doesn't always work to your advantage, but it seemed to work out okay.

I have three coins that I wanted to send to PCGS. They are part of my type set and I've had them for years now. As I owned them that long and grading standards have changed, I thought that I'd try to cross them over to PCGS and see how I made out. Here's what happened:

All in all, I'm pleased with the results. I was hoping that the 20 cent piece might go a little higher, but it's a beautifully toned coin so PCGS 55 is fine. I submitted them in their holders and I was worried that the NGC gold dollar might not turn out too well as I've been told that sending a coin in an NGC holder to PCGS doesn't always work to your advantage, but it seemed to work out okay.

I will ask what is probably an obvious question: why not submit to NGC? Was it an investment perception that the coins would be more liquid and marketable in a PCGS Holder? I can understand the ANACS issue, but that does not preclude not sending to NGC. I would also ask why not submit the NGC coin to CAC, or re-submit to NGC? I am just curious; no other intent.

As a dealer in the late 1990s I noticed a period during which ANACS got very conservative, especially with gold. For a period of less than a year they were using tougher standards that both NGC and PCGS. Perhaps this was an effort to get back to the top of the heap in the grading company wars, but by then it didn't work. A lot of the coins were simply crossed to the two leading services.

I will ask what is probably an obvious question: why not submit to NGC? Was it an investment perception that the coins would be more liquid and marketable in a PCGS Holder? I can understand the ANACS issue, but that does not preclude not sending to NGC. I would also ask why not submit the NGC coin to CAC, or re-submit to NGC? I am just curious; no other intent.

If the OP submitted as crossover, he didn't crack them. For 2/3 of the coins he submitted, if he was not wanting to crack them, isn't it true that he could NOT submit to NGC?

Someone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong, since I have never submitted to NGC directly myself, but didn't NGC curtail crossovers through them to only PCGS coins? ANACS slabs need not apply?

How does an AU coin - one with evident wear - suddenly become uncirculated? Magical holders? Did your coins get too close to an 1804 dollar?

How does an AU coin - one with evident wear - suddenly become uncirculated? Magical holders? Did your coins get too close to an 1804 dollar?

That's why they call it a "crossover". Didn't you know?

jom

This is my thinking also.

:)

The question has been answered, as he sent these in as crossovers, they could only be sent to PCGS because NGC does not allow crossovers except coins already in PCGS holders. To submit these coins to NGC the op would have had to crack the ANACS holdered coins and submit raw, and in a second submission submit the NGC graded coin for review or regrade or whatever term NGC uses.

Because clearly PCGS is the loosest of the bunch and will give the highest grades? I find it highly entertaining that the "all-powerful and ultra-conservative PCGS" upgraded ALL 3 of these coins. Especially the ones that suddenly repaired their wear and are now UNC, but were previously AU. ;)

:devil:

The question has been answered, as he sent these in as crossovers, they could only be sent to PCGS because NGC does not allow crossovers except coins already in PCGS holders. To submit these coins to NGC the op would have had to crack the ANACS holdered coins and submit raw, and in a second submission submit the NGC graded coin for review or regrade or whatever term NGC uses.

Exactly. Why not help NGC a little bit here instead of PCGS?

For starters, the extra shipping and handling.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the extra shipping and handling. The OP still had to pay shipping and handling to PCGS same as if he sent the coins to NGC in the raw?

I'm sorry but I don't understand the extra shipping and handling. The OP still had to pay shipping and handling to PCGS same as if he sent the coins to NGC in the raw?

I interpreted your post as saying that he should have sent the ANACS pieces to PCGS and then the NGC piece back to NGC for a regrade. That, in my opinion, would make little sense as he would be subject to increased shipping costs from having two packages. And if you are asking why he didn't send the ANACS coins to NGC, it is because NGC would crack them out without any guarantee of the piece grading and would effectively treat it as a raw coin. I don't blame him a bit for not wanting the risk even if limited in this case.

That's why they call it a "crossover". Didn't you know?

jom

Oh....! I must be too stupid to understand this.... I'll go back to landing dishwashers on a comet.

;)

I interpreted your post as saying that he should have sent the ANACS pieces to PCGS and then the NGC piece back to NGC for a regrade. That, in my opinion, would make little sense as he would be subject to increased shipping costs from having two packages. And if you are asking why he didn't send the ANACS coins to NGC, it is because NGC would crack them out without any guarantee of the piece grading and would effectively treat it as a raw coin. I don't blame him a bit for not wanting the risk even if limited in this case.

It would still be 2 mailings, even if he resent the NGC coin to NGC for a regrade (ie...he felt it wasn't AU and was a higher grade), as NGC still wouldn't have done the ANACS coins. So, one mailing to PCGS and one mailing to NGC. 2 costs instead of 1.

As for those that question an AU going low MS.....we have heard of that from more than one TPGS before. People know, at least ones that are honest about it and not just wanting to toss stones, that one grader's AU may be another grader's MS, depending on if something is viewed as actual circulation or cabinet friction...or maybe something weak about the strike on a particular coin/issue.

Yes, I sent them to PCGS because I didn't have to break them out of their holders as I would have with NGC. I did get one surprise though. PCGS sent me an email telling me that I owed them an extra $24.00. When I contacted them to see what the charge was for, I was told that it was a "percentage fee" as the coins crossed at a higher grade. I sure missed that in the fine print! And of course crossing older coins is about market grading versus technical grading. I'm amazed at the changes that are taking place in the hobby, but market grading is here to stay.

<<< PCGS sent me an email telling me that I owed them an extra $24.00. When I contacted them to see what the charge was for, I was told that it was a "percentage fee" as the coins crossed at a higher grade. >>>

That extra charge "percentage fee" thing is a joke IMO and yet another way some services shake down collectors for every last nickel they can squeeze out of you. Maybe they should also have an additional surcharge just in case you happen to later sell the coins they graded for a profit? LOLOL

Hmmm....does pcgs also offer rebate checks on submissions when coins grade lower?

It would still be 2 mailings, even if he resent the NGC coin to NGC for a regrade (ie...he felt it wasn't AU and was a higher grade), as NGC still wouldn't have done the ANACS coins. So, one mailing to PCGS and one mailing to NGC. 2 costs instead of 1.

As for those that question an AU going low MS.....we have heard of that from more than one TPGS before. People know, at least ones that are honest about it and not just wanting to toss stones, that one grader's AU may be another grader's MS, depending on if something is viewed as actual circulation or cabinet friction...or maybe something weak about the strike on a particular coin/issue.

What is that saying? One man's 58 is another man's 62? So not surprising at all, could have happened at NGC as well.

Best, HT