• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Completing a Collection posted by Darryl F. Jones

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Part 1 of 2 of my goal

Like most of us collectors we start a collection only to find completing them to be the hardest achievement. I am down to one coin and have been searching and watching the internet to no avail. I have attended coins shows but since my search is for a modern coin the coin shows don't offer much in that area.

Anyone having the knowledge or whereabouts of the coin listed below I would greatly appreciate your letting me know.

2006 NGC Proof 70 First Strikes $100 Platinum Eagle

See more journals by Darryl F. Jones

"Like most of us collectors we start a collection only to find completing them to be the hardest achievement. I am down to one coin and have been searching and watching the internet to no avail."

I'm in a similar spot with Walikng Liberty varieties. I have most of the ones recognized by NGC for inclusion in the Registry set, but I have not found the last two in over three years of searching. I must have looked at several thousand ebay, Heritage, Stack's and other on-line listings for 1939-D and 1944-S halves, searching for 1939-D/D and 1944-S/S repunched mintmarks. Most of the photos are not good enough to even guess if there is a RPM. But it gets worse.

A couple of weeks ago, a 1939-D came up on ebay. The photos were large, clear and had great detail, and the reverse was clearly the FS-501 D/D variety. Without hesitation I hit the BIN button. A week later, the coin arrives and I eagerly open the package to find......the reverse photo is not the same coin. No D/D. Just a nice, clean ordinary 1939-D. I returned it, telling the dealer that the reverse photo was not the same coin as the obverse, but I see it has been re-listed with the same (incorrect) photos of the reverse side.

I found your coin! Call me at 561-3510005... :^)

Just to be clear, its a 2006 PR70 Red Label First Strike.

Confirming PCGS or NGC, this one is

You know, NGC changed from First Strike, to Early Release at the request of PCGS?

The coins are the same, but if you require NGC, its gonna be more $'s..

Capt. Brian