• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was hoarding same thing as somebody else!

23 posts in this topic

And I still am hoarding them! However he has spoiled his plan! He is selling all of them at once like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person! Go search Heritage for 1797 dime. Usually on a good year 2 will sell and some years 0 sell! Way to flood the market Grrrrrrrrrrr!

When you say "he" who exactly are you referring to here? I would have a hard time putting something like this on anyone else besides the company selling them... maybe the actual agent who represented specific consignor, but even that would be hard because it should be more of a company procedure....

Or, maybe doing it that way is by design... At least they aren't all the same grade.. that's what really just makes me scratch my head... when they have a fairly good coin like say a semi key early walker in MS64.... not just 1 but 4 of them or something.... and they all end back to back to back to back in the same auction at the same time.

makes ya wonder.

Well, if the "other guy" is throwing in the towel, isn't this your chance to buy his coins at a less-than-expected price?

You would have to have very deep pockets to buy all of those that are up there, imo.

However he has spoiled his plan! He is selling all of them at once like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person!

Seems to me he is spoiling "your" plan by being the first to dump them. (shrug)

Very interesting and informative post. Publicizing you are hoarding any coin only works to your advantage if you are selling in 5 to 10 years time from now and enough people find out about said hoard in the mean time and begin grabbing them up faster than you because of you.

You must have very deep pockets to hoard pretty much any U.S. coin. For many it is a pipe dream and/or not fully pursued. You have to have the combination of being young AND rich to really have a serious go at it. Most people don't build enough of a financial nest egg until they are middle-aged, if then. Then if you start hoarding at age 50, you only have 25 years left. Might be enough to hoard and have an impact on the market, might not be.

I was under bidder on a few of those he is selling. I'm 28 so I have time hopefully... Good lord willing! No way I'm buying all of them! I'm deciding whether I want to go for a nice one or qaunity. I've became very patient in my older years! Hell I might decide there all over priced and get zero! I just thought it was a foolish way to sell! And maybe equally foolish to point out what I'm holding onto?

How do you know that all the coins are from the same consignor?

Because its a coin I can Never locate! Go look and see how often they come for sale. Especially a 13 star!

Darn! It sure is becoming crowded in dime-land. I've been hoarding all the 1797 dimes I find in change, too....

How do you know that all the coins are from the same consignor?

Because its a coin I can Never locate! Go look and see how often they come for sale. Especially a 13 star!

Heritage sold nine in 2014 across all grades and varieties. Three in 2013. The PCGS census lists somewhat over 100 for both major (only?) varieties. NGC lists 68. Both probably include a decent number of duplicates.

Still nine and three is a lot more often than a very large number of coins in my series. The 1797 is scarce but not rare and is available. I don't see why you would need to wait that long to find one, especially if you had one or more prominent dealers looking for them.

I don't know just ask DeBeers. (if i spelled it correctly, the diamond people) They seemed to

corner the market pretty well.

I believe it can work in the long term if demand is increasing. Over the longer term and considering current prices, I consider this a dubious proposition to say the least. I know this coin is held in high regard but the prices are already in the stratosphere. Checking the Heritage archives the last sale in VG was for about $5,000. The list price in the 1972 Redbook is less than $400 and in 1998, $1300. I don't see a repeat of this price performance.