• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Wish List

6 posts in this topic

How I would love to be able to search.

Hello everyone. I hope you're all doing well. I made my regular coin purchases this morning, but I had a great day at work, so I figured I would treat myself to an extra indulgence. I made an offer on a Morgan Silver Dollar and I purchased a MS 66 Buffalo Nickle for my Type Set.

As I was searching, a few thing became very obvious to me. Prices vary ridiculously on EBay. New collectors and veteran collectors alike need to be patient and observant to avoid overpaying.

The second thing is that while I love that Ebay will no longer accept replica coins, I wish they would get rid of misleading descriptions. Particularly with the Morgans, there are a ton of sellers who push that a coin is a VAM, even though the holder does not recognize it. I believe these should be taken down from being able to be sold. Also, the use of the word Rare, when the coin is not rare for the mintage, condition or availability.

The third thing, is that I would love to be able to exclude "Details" coins from the results. While these coins have their place for authentication purposes, I don't want any in my collection. I was browsing through Large Cents and there are a ton of them there. I understand why a lot of those types would be graded Details ie. Improperly Cleaned because of differing standards of how to preserve your collection over the years; Scratched, etc, but if I am going to spend money on a coin, I want a grade. That is my preference. I would love to be able to filter out all of the Details Slabs.

Well, that is it for now. I hope you all enjoy your collecting endeavors over the coming days and weeks.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Marcus, look in the categories column on the left side of the search results and find the "More refinements..." link. That will popup a window where you can pick one or more specific criteria such as as grades. For example, with grades such as AU50, AU53, AU55, AU58 selected, you will not see any AU Details.

~jack

Hello TEX!

Congrats ona good day at work, heckers, that equals a good day fishing does it not?

And nice coin picks too...

Also, you say: "Prices vary ridiculously on EBay. New collectors and veteran collectors alike need to be patient and observant to avoid overpaying." Boy you got that right. One day, a few years ago, I noticed an auction that ended on New Years Day, thought I'd treat myself on the first day of the year. Boy, did I ever. The dealer forgot his auction ended on NY's day, and musta bin partyin' all night, cause I bought one gold coin for less than gold value, not to mention it was a pop 98 coin.

So, caveat emptor right? Took my booty and celebrated the new year.

Today I bought a coin which was about 1000 dollars below the NGC price so I feel I did good with that one. Obviously I agree with you, patience pays.

Also you said, "The second thing is that while I love that Ebay will no longer accept replica coins, I wish they would get rid of misleading descriptions. Particularly with the Morgans, there are a ton of sellers who push that a coin is a VAM, even though the holder does not recognize it. I believe these should be taken down from being able to be sold. Also, the use of the word Rare, when the coin is not rare for the mintage, condition or availability."

I totally agree with that. I know a seller/dealer who puts in misleading titles on ebay to lure you to his site. If he has a coin in '69, he also includes in the title, the population of the "70's". So if you type in '70' anywhere in your search, it also brings up his. One must be very careful of the cheaters and criminals. I think they number as much as the honest ones.

I also agree, that the word 'rare' needs to be defined and adhered to by ebay and everyone else. If someone misleads, they should have a note next to their names etc. So tired of crooks.

VAM and clashed dies are also kind of over worked and misleading. But, there is a place if the grader marks it on the label I feel.

I don't have a problem with 'DETAILS' because it does drop the value way down, and clarifies the situation of a particular coin. BUT having details allows the lesser monied collector to have a 'slot filled', with his meager resources.

Good Journal TEX

Capt. Brian

The Lost Navigator

PS I also feel that ebay is making a shambles of the coin collectors life. Although to modify that, there are bargains, so be careful and read every word before you bid. You could easily be bidding on a coin you don't want.

In the search field, you can refine your search by typing - Details. This will exclude all auctions that have Details in the title or description. Hope this helps!

with all respect for professional numismatists and honest coin dealers, ebay is a dealer dumping ground, both for PCGS and NGC straight graded but grossly overgraded slabs but also for every other piece of trash you can imagine. We have sold our extras on ebay for many years but are finally throwing in the towel because we grade honestly and properly and cant possibly expect to compete with the cheats any longer- ebay has become a cesspool and it's full of slimy crooks.

That said, ebay is a great place for an experienced collector to get great deals, but be prepared to return a few things now and then.

Great observations on most topics raised, but need to disagree on two:

first, VAM is just a die pair designation. Most dollars are not designated on the labels but they definitely ARE VAM varieties, every coin fits into Van Allen and Mallis's scheme so why shouldn't a numismatist, amateur or pro, be allowed to put a die pair to the coins description? When I collected Overton varieties they were rarely designated in slabs, but more importantly, I removed any coins that I bought in slabs to put them in my Dansco albums, so when I sold the set off to start my half eagle set, I had to give Overton die designations to get what the coins were worth, did I not? Under your reasoning I would have been forced to sell them to a dealer and lose a fortune. Out of over four hundred varieties that I sold, I didnt get a single one wrong. That is why we have references like Overtons and Van Allen/Malliss.

Second, details graded coins can be just as nice as straight graded coins. Without them, I would never have been able to get close to completing a set of half eagles. (please see Lucky One's 1839-1908 set for example) I have witnessed a LOT of straight grade slabs with cleaned and problem coins in them. Fifty years of numismatic experience tells me that no opinion is perfect and that the only people who ever get hurt by slabs, straight graded or not, are those who the slabbers claim to protect (the numismatically ignorant), but the reality of the situation is that if you dont know what you are looking at, YOU will get stuck with these bad slabs. I have bought many details graded slabs with every bit the eye appeal of straight graded slabs.

For me, if it looks nice, I buy it and enjoy it for it's beauty, because that is what a coin collection should do- make you feel good, and beauty is primary in a rare coin collection imho. Hope you truly enjoy yours my friend, it is a great and interesting hobby!