• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Report Counterfeit Coin Seller

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was recently burned by a seller on eBay and I see that he is still selling the fake coin. There is one known 1952 Penny from G.B. and since he had high value items, I opted to take a chance. We are now fighting it out with PayPal. The Pobjoy Mint was established in 1965 also.

I ask that you report this item so that no one else makes the mistake I did. I know this is the U.S. Coin Forum but it seems to be the only one with more than one viewer.

Thanks,

Don

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-PENNY-POBJOY-MINT-ISSUE-BRITISH-COIN-FROM-GEORGE-VI-UNC-/311309774052

SleazeBay doesn't care. It's my understanding that the "Report" function is useless according to a former employee of SleazeBay.

Chris

Could you please give us a little more information on this? Did the Pobjoy Mint strike copies of the 1952 penny? If not, do you know who did strike this copy, or anything else about it?

There is one known 1952 Penny from G.B. and since he had high value items, I opted to take a chance.

You "took a chance" on that piece? Not much of a chance since it is an obvious copy. Did he also say it was from Pobjoy in the auction you bought it from?

In the US that thing is either a counterfeit or an unmarked replica - both are illegal.

If the title on the linked auction is the original title, then it's up to the UK ebay folks to settle.

The listing says he takes returns and all coins are guaranteed genuine. Have you contacted the Seller and he's refusing to abide by his guarantee?

I'm confused.

I've heard that reporting counterfeits is pointless. I dunno.

From what I have read, there were no business strike pennies minted in 1952 .. only proofs (only 2 possible). He was cleaver by adding "UNC" in his seller notes.

I have reported and had my friends report a seller on ebay hundreds of times yet he's still there selling hundreds of fake slabs every month. I'm not saying give up as I still report sellers but understand ebay is slow to act if at all.

It is my understanding that eBay is no longer using the "Report" function.

You'd probably have better luck reporting it to the Feds.

Chris