• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Skin

65 posts in this topic

More years ago than I care to remember or admit, a hobbyist that was (to me) a very knowledgeable fellow, taught me the meaning, to him, of original.

he had access to, and many examples of original pieces. Slowly, over time, I was able to ascertain on my own the slight, subtle - and sometimes not so subtle...especially with Morgans - "haze" a coin has that is original. I have found only a few in the last 10 - 15 years. When I do, I always buy it.

I guess, with me, it is a " you know it when you see it" thing. I was probably taught incorrectly, though. The gentleman that taught me did imbibe Jamisons in what some would describe egregious amounts.

But there are a great many "original" Morgan's without haze.

But (there is always a "but", but you know that), I don't buy them. ;)

"But" why not ?

That is a good question, and although I have a nagging thought about the motive it is asked, I will answer.

Within the context of original, those coins with such a designation tend to be very expensive, to me.

I find that the hazy examples are not as expensive and I think the reason is that many collectors, maybe the majority, lean toward something not being attractive or appealing when the haze is present, or maybe there is a feeling that the haze is detrimental or the coin was doctored in some fashion. So, I am happy to buy it for a price acceptable to me. In the end, that is all that matters to me.....that I like it. I am not buying it for somebody else.

Thanks, John. My only motive in asking was curiosity.

I know.

Just an attempt at humor in that you may have been wondering if I also picked up the Jamison's habit and that may account for my rationale.

A planchet begins to oxidize the moment it comes out the the final whitening operation. That surface is altered by the mechanical stress of striking and further change occurs over time. All of these are "original" in that no one has intentionally tried to change the color or texture. That does not mean the original surface is attractive or perfect.

It's like an onion.