• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Improving education/information at coin shows.

31 posts in this topic

Assuming a show promoter has any interest in improving the knowledge of collectors, what things could be done that would develop more interest among collectors and dealers attending a show.

After attending several ANA and other large shows, one thought is that the information presentations should be much closer to the bourse floor. Another is that they should contain information of immediate used to collectors. A third is that dealer-collector interaction in the programs might produce better customers....

Assuming a show promoter has any interest in improving the knowledge of collectors, what things could be done that would develop more interest among collectors and dealers attending a show.

Conduct the seminars before the bourse opens. Perhaps 2-3 days of seminars and then the show. I am sure some shows do this already but I dont think Long Beach does which is the show I have the most experience with.

Have NGC/PCGS/ANACS teach courses on their grading and designations specifics and how to spot problem coins. Perhaps having breakout sessions with a grader for individual popular series. While the ANA does a great job teaching grading I would like to hear from the individual companies what they look for and what they like and dont like in grading room.

Have NGC/PCGS/ANACS teach courses on their grading and designations specifics and how to spot problem coins. Perhaps having breakout sessions with a grader for individual popular series. While the ANA does a great job teaching grading I would like to hear from the individual companies what they look for and what they like and dont like in grading room.

I know NGC already does this (and I assume PCGS does, but I have no idea). NGC hosts an all day seminar at many shows (for a reasonable fee). I've wanted to attend one, but haven't had the chance to yet, since they don't do it at FUN.

How about sponsoring more coin-specific or topic-specific seminars? At the Baltimore show next month, there is only one topic-specific seminar, as far as I can tell, called “Coins in the Bible: A Non-Sectarian Introduction,” with Mike Markowitz. Link to schedule: http://expo.whitman.com/baltimore-spring-expo/schedule/

NGC has a forum about improving skills and communication. You can get the coins and knowledge for the interest and you can also buy essay writing service to learn unique tips to write your papers. It also contains information of immediate use to collectors. You can get instructions on a skill basis. Join in for more.

I was referring to much better integration, co-location, information, and immediacy.....not writing "papers."

Is an auction simply at the same place by coincidence, or is it part of the total event experience? The same for educational presentations, technology demonstrations, book signings and author meet-n-greet. Present shows are organized to be dull. But, take a look at some of the foreign mint booths -- now expand the best ideas to the entire venue.

Is an ANA "coin show" just a fancy flea market held in a dusty parking lot, or is it a real industry show and event? Cosmetologists put on a better show than ANA or ANY of the others.

On 2/21/2015 at 12:37 AM, RWB said:

After attending several ANA and other large shows, one thought is that the information presentations should be much closer to the bourse floor. Another is that they should contain information of immediate used to collectors. A third is that dealer-collector interaction in the programs might produce better customers....

Regarding close locations, this varies by hall. One of the worst was Anaheim 2016. Chicago is just marginally okay. Pittsburgh is really good. IIRC, Denver was quite good. Philly was great but we’ll never be back there. 

I'm not referring to "close" locations. I refer to true integrated events.

Rent sound proof classroom pods and hold education events in the bourse space. Keep the physical auction close to the bourse, but install large screens and tuneable audio (for 'smart phones') so people can see and hear the action and photos. Post events on a large "scoreboard" and screw those lousy PA systems that make everything garbled. Help dealers embrace technology to announce special deals - particularly on books, supplies, autographs, "deal of the hour," etc. Change the "glitz to dreg" current arrangement into one that uses large colorful displays to draw attention to the dealers, and focus the floor arrangement to the center of the room not to the present "nowhere." Use a center rostrum for award announcements - even if they duplicate ones already made by ANA or NLG or other groups.

Keep something happening, moving, ALL THE TIME ! Surprise visitors! Inspire curiosity! Open minds!

This is the floor plan for the 2021 ANA. Examine it carefully. Later, I'll post an integrated concept plan.

ANA Floor plan-sm.jpg

Conceptual Floor Plan

Goals:

Emphasize featured collections and exhibits.

Diversify locations  of visually appealing displays.

Increase visual appeal and “excitement” to those attending.

Implementation Concepts:

Correlate specialty sellers with related displays, especially world mints.

Place Authentication/Grading proximate to books and publications to improve exposure of collectors to hobby knowledge.

Four 4-meter video displays (min 2-sided, 3 of 4 preferred) to provide information to participants. Equip with local audio for smart phone pickup.

Place featured auction companies close to central exhibits.

Two sound proof conference pods in corners of room for educational and specialty meetings (not shown).

ANA Floor plan Revised.jpg

Edited by RWB

On 8/17/2021 at 3:24 PM, RWB said:

This is the floor plan for the 2021 ANA. Examine it carefully. Later, I'll post an integrated concept plan.

ANA Floor plan-sm.jpg

Been there, seen that. Six days. 

On 8/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, RWB said:

Conceptual Floor Plan

Goals:

Emphasize featured collections and exhibits.

Diversify locations  of visually appealing displays.

Increase visual appeal and “excitement” to those attending.

Implementation Concepts:

Correlate specialty sellers with related displays, especially world mints.

Place Authentication/Grading proximate to books and publications to improve exposure of collectors to hobby knowledge.

Four 4-meter video displays (min 2-sided) to provide information to participants. Equip with local audio for smart phone pickup.

Place featured auction companies close to central exhibits.

Two sound proof conference pods in corners of room for educational and specialty meetings (not shown).

ANA Floor plan Revised.jpg

No one will ever buy this. The exhibits are using PRIME real estate. It’s all about the “Benjamin’s”. World mints, when we get them back, are quite well clustered, subject to their consent. Canada usually wanted to be separate. U.S. too. 

Edited by VKurtB

This type of floor plan keeps collectors constantly exposed to new views, ideas, experiences with improved traffic flow for table holders. Placing the displays at center moves the show focus from isolated sides, to the middle. [Collector posts  indicate the Tyrant Collection was of significant interest -- why stick it in a corner?] Four video displays (on 12-foot stands) make information available to all of the floor space but use very little room for the stands. Wireless is assumed. Splitting the world and US Mint displays further enhances connection to attendees throughout the hall. Two conference pods can handle 14 to 16 events per day - which seems sufficient for all educational programs and some specialty group meetings.

This is a mere rough arrangement. Specifics for the venue would differ.

Edited by RWB

I'd like to actually talk F2F with another person who collects the same type of coin I do.

I'm jealous of those EAC folks that always have their little huddle of obsessed collectors.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:08 PM, Cat Bath said:

I'd like to actually talk F2F with another person who collects the same type of coin I do.

I'm jealous of those EAC folks that always have their little huddle of obsessed collectors.

What do you collect, Cat Bath?  I'm genuinely curious.  I'm fairly certain I'm the only lunatic on this Earth who is trying to complete a complete RIC set of Faustina the Younger's copper and silver coins.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, Mohawk said:

who is trying to complete a complete RIC set of Faustina the Younger's copper and silver coins.

It only took a quick google search to inform me of what you're up against  :fear:

Saint Gaudens double eagles are a different critter, easy to find & they all basically look the same.

I'm pretty sure it would interest you greatly if it was announced that a group of Faustina enthusiasts were meeting sometime during a future show.

So, you're a Saint guy?  That's a cool pursuit, but a difficult one, no doubt about it.  The 1920-S, 1921, those post 1923 mint mark issues and those 1930's dates are TOUGH and some of them are just killers!!!  I wonder how many Saint enthusiasts there are.....I'd imagine there are quite a few, but likely not approaching the numbers of those EAC folks.....you're right.....that's a whole different sub-community within our community.  And, you're right about the Faustina set.....it's the only thing I do now because it's absolutely repulsively titanic!!  I'd love a meeting of Faustina enthusiasts, but, sadly, I think I'd be sitting at the table for such a meeting all by myself, talking to myself and my coins xD

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/18/2021 at 5:20 PM, Mohawk said:

So, you're a Saint guy?  That's a cool pursuit, but a difficult one, no doubt about it. 

Check out the thread on Roger Burdette's (RWB on these forums) Saint-Gaudens book.  Almost as valuable as the book itself ! (thumbsu

The 1920-S, 1921, those post 1923 mint mark issues and those 1930's dates are TOUGH and some of them are just killers!!! 

5-figures at least in AU or higher, 6 or more in the higher grades.  And the highest-gradeds for Saints like the 1927-D's in the low-7's. 

I wonder how many Saint enthusiasts there are.....I'd imagine there are quite a few, but likely not approaching the numbers of those EAC folks.....you're right.....that's a whole different sub-community within our community. 

I think we agreed with the gist of an article/blog over in the RWB Saint Thread that there are probably a few hundred (~500) serious Saint registry collectors....then there are maybe tens of thousands (~25,000) who are type collectors or folks who collect some Saints but aren't into getting all of them or doing registry....and then there are the investment folks who buy based on newsletters and infomercials numbering in the hundreds of thousands buying the lower-graded coins as bullion subsitutes.

I think more people would collect them for bullion or numismatic reasons if they knew about them.  I didn't know about Saints until I was in my 40's.

On 8/19/2021 at 11:12 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I think more people would collect them for bullion or numismatic reasons if they knew about them.  I didn't know about Saints until I was in my 40's.

You could be right there.  However, there's that weird collector need for completeness, which with my massive and insane pursuit, you know I definitely feel.  I think those expensive, rare dates kind of hurt Saints a bit as far as attracting serious collectors.  There are a good number of collectors who can afford 1922's, 1923-D's, 1924's and 1928's, but a lot fewer who can ever hope to afford a 1920-S, 1921, 1927-D, 1930-S and other dates like that.  Since completing a true, complete set of Saints is so difficult, I think that fact puts some collectors off taking Saints on as a collection.  I could be wrong, but it's a theory of mine.  I've known about Saints since I was a kid, but I've never felt the draw......but I'm a bit of an odd bird numismatically speaking :) 

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/19/2021 at 11:18 PM, Mohawk said:

You could be right there.  However, there's that weird collector need for completeness, which with my massive and insane pursuit, you know I definitely feel.  I think those expensive, rare dates kind of hurt Saints a bit as far as attracting serious collectors.  There are a good number of collectors who can afford 1922's, 1923-D's, 1924's and 1928's, but a lot fewer who can ever hope to afford a 1920-S, 1921, 1927-D, 1930-S and other dates like that.  Since completing a true, complete set of Saints is so difficult, I think that fact puts some collectors off taking Saints on as a collection.  I could be wrong, but it's a theory of mine.  I've known about Saints since I was a kid, but I've never felt the draw......but I'm a bit of an odd bird numismatically speaking :) 

I get how someone COULD feel that way -- but I would think just accumulating as much as one could financially would be achievement enough.  If you got 30 out of the 53 Saints....or 40 or 45 or 50 or whatever....you still accomplished quite a feat. (thumbsu

I think it's ingrained in all of us to collect 100% of a set from those Saturday morning cereal commercials with the free prizes inside....Collect All 4...Keep Buying Captain Crunch Until You Get 'Em All !!! xD

On 8/20/2021 at 12:44 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I get how someone COULD feel that way -- but I would think just accumulating as much as one could financially would be achievement enough.  If you got 30 out of the 53 Saints....or 40 or 45 or 50 or whatever....you still accomplished quite a feat. (thumbsu

I think it's ingrained in all of us to collect 100% of a set from those Saturday morning cereal commercials with the free prizes inside....Collect All 4...Keep Buying Captain Crunch Until You Get 'Em All !!! xD

You do make a good point and I'm sure that some people are happy with acquiring 40 or so of the available Saints or whatever else they can afford......clearly there are as there are a decent number of Saint collectors that still do it knowing they'll never have a 1927-D or a 1930-S.  Beyond that, I couldn't say......like I said, Saints have never been my thing.  You and Cat Bath are actually the first serious collectors of Saints that I've ever knowingly spoken with, honestly.   But really, to be fair, gold has never been my thing, either.  If I never own a Faustina the Younger aureus, I definitely won't lose sleep over it xD.  But I think there is something to completing what you can and being proud of it.  Even though I'm only 41 years old currently and hopefully have decades left to live, the massive scope of the collection I'm attempting means that I may very well drop dead before it's actually complete and you know what?  I'll be pleased with whatever I do accomplish there!!! Similar attitude about very different coin projects for different reasons :) 

I have an impression from the slide away from the thread topic, that it's not of much interest to members. That's OK.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:37 PM, RWB said:

I have an impression from the slide away from the thread topic, that it's not of much interest to members. That's OK.

I'm sorry for my role in that, Roger.....it did go off the rails.  I am interested in it, for sure, but sadly I'm also easily distracted when it comes to many topics regarding coins.....I'll try to rein it in!

On 8/20/2021 at 10:49 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm sorry for my role in that, Roger.....it did go off the rails.  I am interested in it, for sure, but sadly I'm also easily distracted when it comes to many topics regarding coins.....I'll try to rein it in!

That's OK. The rails had to be pretty thin in the first place.

I like Rogers idea and I believe it would be interesting to see how it would impact sales. I do not believe that the dealers would like it as much unless sales increased significantly. Creatures of habit. The Tyrant collection should be a highlighted in an area that would have the maximum foot traffic in my opinion. It encourages and excites. 
Kurt has a very valid point, however - all about profit!

On 8/17/2021 at 2:32 PM, VKurtB said:

Philly was great but we’ll never be back there. 

Only if you are in an armored Humvee!    :roflmao:  

In 2021 the Tyrant collection was a "magnet" for collectors. Central placement gives the show focus and draws collectors from all parts of the room through the dealer areas. Dodos were "creatures of habit." The conceptual floor plan is designed to attract greater collector interest, and stimulate outside interest, while requiring participants to move through sales areas. The general public shows a rapidly decreasing interest in boring, flat, joyless amusements - and a coin show is, to the public, an amusement. The concept plan has much higher potential capture of amusement visitors converting them into nascent interested visitors and potential new collectors.

The sketch is about increasing exposure and thus profit, and enlarging the future buying base. On a smaller scale, the TPG area is designed to do the same thing for the more engaged collectors by placing "knowledge materials" proximate to them during their 'grading' exercise.

Edited by RWB
spelling typo