• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin vs. labels by 4thetwinsfuture

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

How about last day of issue ?

I notice that the ATB clad quarters 1st day of issue coins are receiving a higher point value than other PF 70's. Isn't a PF 70 regardless of when minted the same as any other PF 70 ? If not, then why not last day issued ?

See more journals by 4thetwinsfuture

I'm sure points are granted higher due to the total population of First Day of Issue sets produced and sold. These sets can't be viewed prior to submission which makes it tougher on submitters where as the regular sets can be cherry picked and then sent in.

I am like you on your thoughts of these sets the mint and grading services came up with a few years ago after the first day issues sold so well. However many collectors are high strung on the concept of E.R. and F.D.O.I. coinage.

Later

it makes no difference what the label says. a PF70 ER/ ER or a brown label PF70 all get the same number of points. its what looks good in your collection as a whole over time. i think this ER/FR/FDOI etc is only a way of graders to make more $. it was never there available in the beginning and was free when it started, now they charge to get it on the label, and now the charge even more to get a special label with Early or First. its all about money...total rip-off.... brown label keep it the same right from the beginning.

It seems that ER, FS, FDOI are just modern versions of EDS, "early die state". But dies don't pay attention to the calendar. If there were noticeable differences in die state, such labels might have "real" meaning. As-is, it's just a way for the TPGs and dealers to make more money.

If you want to deal with die states, just check out some of our earlier coinage. The half cent and large cent folks can really go to town on that. I've gotten more interested recently as well, trying to find varieties and interesting die states of half dimes.

Alan

Varieties is surely the bomb in coin collecting. It takes a while for a numismatic mind to grow strong enough to understand and challenge the task. Of course the longer we collect ---- the wiser we get!! :grin:

Every numis challenge is a lesson learned!!

Rick

The whole label thing has gotten way out of control!

From the looks of all the replies, I would say we all pretty much agree it is about money and not coin collecting.

Now a days, more often than not, things grow in the wrong direction or for the wrong reasons. I have been a member with NGC for about 12 years, and even though it doesn't look like it at one time I had over 120 first place sets. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I know a little about the grading game. And like every other company today NGC pays more attention to the bottom line than to what makes sense in the collecting society.

The whole thing use to make me sick, now I think it is just sad.

My personal views on First Day Issue sets.

Wow great points for your set at the start of a new coin. With only say 50,000 sets available or more, or less -- no matter. There is a cap on the grades once most are all sent in for grading. So today you pay high dollar for MS67 FDI TOP POP to grab top spot in registry. Only to upgrade later on with a regular date slab MS69 (at a lower price probably) as the search of rolls and regular sets provide more higher quality submissions.

Another item that I think has been over exaggerated lately.. -- PL coins!! Have they lowered the bar for acceptance of modern coins to achieve the Proof Like designation? It seems as if graders are trying to list PL populations for every coin minted these days. Was not happening like this10 years ago.

Your Choice! :)

I believe the specialty label is not to bad a thing...it does add character and flair to a collection... the Abe Lincoln label for that particular comm is quite nice! As for the ER designation...nothing but a money maker for NGC and second party sellers. There is no such thing as "early release" :frustrated: .

Now that being said ...I will pay a premium for the SF Giants World Series Champions label on the HOF comm!

Straight up hypocrite here...lol

Jeffrey