• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG and which one do you the best and why -- 1907 eagles and the grades are...

7 posts in this topic

The color of the second one is way too pale, and the luster graze (spot?) in the obverse field kills it for me.

The third one looks attractive - except for a long horizontal scratch across the obverse.

That really leaves the first one by process of elimination. I like the color (it hasn't been messed with), and it doesn't have any distracting marks. There are a couple of minor copper spots on the reverse, but they really don't bother me at all.

That being said, it is impossible to give accurate grades of these coins based on these over-bright images. They make all three coins look like 66's (and, I'm pretty sure they aren't).

The images are too bright for precise grading, but I'll take a stab at some general grades.

The first one has a rub on the obverse and is an AU, probably in the AU-55 range. The reverse looks to be Mint State, but if the obverse has a rub, it doesn't matter.

The second one has been dipped, probably to remove the spot on the obverse, which was unsuccessful. I don't care for this coin at all because of the spot, which is totally distracting, and would pass.

The last one appears to be a nice Mint State coin except for the scratch on the obverse. Depending on how distracting that mark is, I'd grade it MS-62 or 63. If you have to pick from this group of three, that's the best one in my opinion.

For comparison purposes, here is one in PCGS MS-64, CAC.

1907TenDolO.jpg1907TenDolR.jpg

Unfortunately the photos aren't what they could be. I think we are all agreed that #2's blotch is too much of a distraction. I tend to think that #3, even with the scratch is the most attractive. I'll post the grades shortly - after anyone else who would like to guess has a chance.

Bill - your example is very nice. Love the color!

I think the first one definitely has something going on in the hair below the "B" in Liberty. The spot on coin #2 doesn't ruin it for me but I'd still go with three.

1. AU 58

2. MS 63

3. MS 63

I know nothing about gold so........we got that going for us.

And the grades are -- all 64s. The first graded by PCGS and the other two by NGC. All three sold last week. All but Jason liked the third eagle the best and it sold for less than the first two.

The first one was described as:

1907 $10 No Periods MS64 PCGS. An near-Gem example of the first-year No Periods variety, showing uniformly attractive peach-gold patina on surfaces that show few marks for the grade. This piece is considerably nicer than most survivors of the issue and would make an excellent type coin to represent this Saint-Gaudens design, as reinterpreted for production by Mint Engraver Charles Barber.

The second one was described as:

Exceptional Quality for the Grade

1907 $10 No Periods MS64 NGC. About as high-end as is technically possible for the MS64 grade level, this No Motto type Indian ten is remarkably devoid of any perceptible abrasions in the fields, and we note only faint evidence of stacking marks on the highest points of the devices that appear to limit NGC's assessment. Satiny honey-gold luster illuminates each side and the design elements are well brought up.

The third was described as:

Superior Quality for the Grade

1907 $10 No Periods MS64 NGC. An exceptional coin for the grade, this first-year No Motto Indian ten dollar displays satiny, honey-gold luster and boldly rendered devices. The surfaces are devoid of noticeable abrasions, as close examination reveals only minor stacking marks on the high points of Liberty's cheek and the eagle's feathers. Few coins are visually superior within the Choice grade level.