• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suspected Counterfeit Turns to Jackpot! / Thanks NGC!

50 posts in this topic

The ANA seems to have its own problems to worry with and is too busy to police its members. When presented with a genuine complaint, I don't think the ANA has the resources or time to conduct any sort of inquiry when it is already entangled in a massive lawsuit. That goes for complaints of this nature or any other for that matter.

As I stated a while ago in a different thread, I have recent personal experience with this. A complaint against me was filed with the ANA. The complainant was attempting to get me kicked out of the ANA. I received notification of the complaint via certified mail from the ANA. The complaint involved my prior production and sale of 2009-DC "proofed" over-strike Silver Eagles and "1964-D" over-strike Peace Dollars. I was given 20 days to compile and submit a rebuttal to the ANA, which I did. The ANA board reviewed the complaint and rebuttal, and they determined that there was no need for a formal in-person hearing. The ANA board decided that there was no intention to deceive anyone, and that the complaint was baseless. The complaint was entirely dismissed. I am still an ANA member in good standing.

So the ANA does act on all written complaints that are properly submitted.

I'm not sure why you posted this link unless it was to identify the style of the genuine coin that was used for the fake. (crown Plate 1 #2 & #3) Comparison of the lettering style clearly shows the OP coin is a fake.

I am ashamed to be a member of this collective. In the face of adversity from people I believed to be genuine, people I gave coins to, let alone giving deals.

NGC's name has been soiled by a few bad apples, when I am sure there are some good people as members. People who don't give their utterly false "advise."

http://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/1907_BNJ_4_10.pdf

The only bad apple here is you. You are the one who was told your coin was a counterfeit. You are the one who listed the coin on eBay as a genuine coin. You are the one who allowed the coin to sell, knowing full well it was a counterfeit. And yet, you want to come here and say that the people who advised you, OF YOUR OWN initial suspicions, were wrong and that they are bad apples and giving false advice?

The purpose of the boards here is to help fellow collectors, not hinder them in any way. When you were told your coin was a cast counterfeit, it was done so to help you understand that your coin was a fake. You already had your suspicions, and the members here confirmed that for you. But yet, you decided to go the dishonest route and sold the counterfeit coin anyway.

If your suspected counterfeit turned into a $51 jackpot, then I really wouldn't call that much to be excited over. Plus, you are sharing the same link I shared with you last night. The images in the PDF file are images of genuine coins, and your coin is still a fake. Sharing the link was not helping your cause, but is instead proving the allegations against you.

Justin, you and I have been around here for just a short amount of time (we seem to have registered only 10 days apart) and are "newbs" for the most part. Even in this short amount of time I do not think I can count on both hands (and possibly one of my feet) how many have came and gone in such a manner as Thomas Pullen.

For those veterans that have been around here so long they need to be dusted off periodically, they more than likely gave up counting many moons ago.

Every endeavor in life seems to have its census of crooks, cons, and those that would lie about anything to make $1.00 ..... It is a damn shame.

Good detective work btw. ;)

My name will be one you won't forget, you shouldn't be so envious of someone you don't know. You know nothing about me and your and your cohorts should feel ashamed for not only being wrong but attacking someone for it.

Actually, Bill and I know each other quite well. We have been friends here on the boards for quite a while, over a year or more now, and have exchanged many messages during that time. Even though I have never personally met Bill or even talked on the phone with him, I know him well enough to call him my friend.

We know all we need to know about you though TheTdotP. You presented the members here with a suspected counterfeit coin, your suspicions were confirmed and were told it was in fact a cast counterfeit coin. But yet, you still let the counterfeit coin sell on eBay. The only person here who should be "ASHAMED" of their actions is YOU!

I just remembered having sold him 10 raw mercury dimes for melt when he first arrived around here. The dimes were all toned very pretty but they were from one of those 'Old West' type of frames where they take old common date coins and clean and polish them and then sell them in that manner.

I was certain beyond doubt that I had packaged all 10 dimes, however he emailed me and told me he only received 9 dimes.

I searched and searched around here and of-course there was not a single one of those dimes to be found, but to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt I refunded him a generous amount for the supposed mistake. Much more than the melt price of a dime.

He sent me an email after that and said "thanks for the dimes - I made a killing off of them!"

I don't know what he did with them but I was not going to sell him anything else since I was certain I sent him all 10 dimes. If a person is willing to lie over the melt cost of a single dime then selling counterfeits is well within the realm of his capabilities.

That sucks Bill. The fact he also sent you an e-mail bragging about his flipping "prowess" just adds to it. Some people!

Yes, he shorted me a Dime. So desperate for his 10$ he forgot to put in all ten. Also he forgot to mention his reply about how they were "beautiful toners just a shame that they weren't in better shape.". I didn't ask for money back, if you remember I said that I wanted to let you know that there were only 9 as they were only 9. I know that as well as God and your track record isn't exactly valid.I thought maybe you had someone else packing and maybe they could have been older and not realized or a young person skimming of you.

And Finally I was saying thank you for a good deal of 9 dimes for $10 and letting you know they went to good use. If you were a good person you would be happy for another person making money but instead you hold hatred for those that are doing better than you.

I wouldn't buy from you again anyway. Not only can you not count but I am not supporting a guy devoting his life to trolling coin sites. I am sorry you are not me and I am sorry you wish you were. You can be happy for me or you can continue speaking ill and lying, but just know I'll be in the sun, at the beach, just thinking of ways to spend money I have amassed being an honest salesman. Ill be just fine but thanks for thinking of me guys :)

HAHAHA! This is quite laughable! Please show me where Bill's track record is anything less than valid. Please do me that one thing. I have had multiple transactions with Bill and they have all been flawless. According to other members here, they have had the same experiences with Bill as well.

Are you calling me a troll, or are you calling Bill a troll? Either way, I'm sure it doesn't really matter. You have been exposed for what you have done. Enjoy that $51 on the beach for all of your honesty in selling that cast counterfeit coin.

Yes, he shorted me a Dime. So desperate for his 10$ he forgot to put in all ten. Also he forgot to mention his reply about how they were "beautiful toners just a shame that they weren't in better shape.". I didn't ask for money back, if you remember I said that I wanted to let you know that there were only 9 as they were only 9. I know that as well as God and your track record isn't exactly valid.I thought maybe you had someone else packing and maybe they could have been older and not realized or a young person skimming of you.

And Finally I was saying thank you for a good deal of 9 dimes for $10 and letting you know they went to good use. If you were a good person you would be happy for another person making money but instead you hold hatred for those that are doing better than you.

I wouldn't buy from you again anyway. Not only can you not count but I am not supporting a guy devoting his life to trolling coin sites. I am sorry you are not me and I am sorry you wish you were. You can be happy for me or you can continue speaking ill and lying, but just know I'll be in the sun, at the beach, just thinking of ways to spend money I have amassed being an honest salesman. Ill be just fine but thanks for thinking of me guys :)

Wow!

Thomas M. Pullen IV -- you strike me as the kind of shady guy standing on the corner saying "So does anyone want a deal on a Rolex?".

Oh -- wait a minute: You are that kind of guy! :roflmao:

153049.jpg.cbf31ca19e6dce98462bc72d5f15bec4.jpg

Thank you Justin and feelings are mutual.

I was going to respond to all the statements he made that I put in bold font but in the end I have neither the time nor desire to even begin any further dialogue with him other than my last word pointing out the irony of him trying to hock a Rolex on FB. Maybe it was authentic as well. (shrug)

Good luck Mr. Thomas Pullens the 4th. If this numismatic venture doesn't pan out for you, there is always selling real estate with your brother back in the UK, right?

Rhetorical that was.

I am not familiar with how coins were made 500 years ago, and whatever that actually is could be worth purchase price.

The other listings can be used for educational purposes as well/ I like the 'blowhole' error they have listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Denver-Mint-Lincoln-Wheat-Penny-Blowhole-Error-Type-Copper-Uncirculated-/321656771465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae43cd389

which I could easily confuse with round punch with tip, post mint damage and spend it at face

Lots of rancor and hot air, but few answers.

Was the coin in question authenticated by NGC or PCGS?

If Yes, what is the certification number?

If not evaluated, then what is the seller's reasoning in avoiding independent examination?

Justin, you and I have been around here for just a short amount of time (we seem to have registered only 10 days apart) and are "newbs" for the most part. Even in this short amount of time I do not think I can count on both hands (and possibly one of my feet) how many have came and gone in such a manner as Thomas Pullen.

For those veterans that have been around here so long they need to be dusted off periodically, they more than likely gave up counting many moons ago.

Every endeavor in life seems to have its census of crooks, cons, and those that would lie about anything to make $1.00 ..... It is a damn shame.

My name will be one you won't forget, you shouldn't be so envious of someone you don't know. You know nothing about me and your and your cohorts should feel ashamed for not only being wrong but attacking someone for it.

I will give you this: you are a very interesting and entertaining fellow, miles higher than I could ever aspire to reach.

I've heard drivel like this before, and I usually consider the source and ignore it.

Chris

The ANA seems to have its own problems to worry with and is too busy to police its members. When presented with a genuine complaint, I don't think the ANA has the resources or time to conduct any sort of inquiry when it is already entangled in a massive lawsuit. That goes for complaints of this nature or any other for that matter.

As I stated a while ago in a different thread, I have recent personal experience with this. A complaint against me was filed with the ANA. The complainant was attempting to get me kicked out of the ANA. I received notification of the complaint via certified mail from the ANA. The complaint involved my prior production and sale of 2009-DC "proofed" over-strike Silver Eagles and "1964-D" over-strike Peace Dollars. I was given 20 days to compile and submit a rebuttal to the ANA, which I did. The ANA board reviewed the complaint and rebuttal, and they determined that there was no need for a formal in-person hearing. The ANA board decided that there was no intention to deceive anyone, and that the complaint was baseless. The complaint was entirely dismissed. I am still an ANA member in good standing.

Without discussing the merits of any complaint, what investigative steps were taken? How much time and research did the ANA actually put into it? And this isn't to target you or provide commentary on the complaint you make reference to; it is to determine how much effort the ANA actually expends in investigating complaints lodged with it.

Without discussing the merits of any complaint, what investigative steps were taken? How much time and research did the ANA actually put into it? And this isn't to target you or provide commentary on the complaint you make reference to; it is to determine how much effort the ANA actually expends in investigating complaints lodged with it.

I don't see how he could answer, or even know the answers to these questions...

I agree! I believe that Mr. Carr was merely attesting to the fact that the ANA does investigate complaints lodged against members.

Chris

Lots of rancor and hot air, but few answers.

Was the coin in question authenticated by NGC or PCGS?

If Yes, what is the certification number?

If not evaluated, then what is the seller's reasoning in avoiding independent examination?

Unless I read something wrong in the thread, and I am not re-reading any of it, I believe the OP made a jackpot windfall selling the coin off already to the tune of 51$

I agree! I believe that Mr. Carr was merely attesting to the fact that the ANA does investigate complaints lodged against members.

Chris

I agree with both objections.

I was not present at the board meeting where the issue was discussed and decided upon.

From my point of view what I can say is that I received a written notice of the complaint from the ANA via certified mail. Included was the full text of the complaint as written by the complainant. I had 20 days to send a notarized rebuttal via certified mail. After reading the complaint, it was apparent that the complainant just didn't like the two items in question, and they didn't think anyone should collect them. The complainant had never purchased any of my items, and we had never entered into any sort of transaction for anything, ever.

The ANA board reviewed the complaint and rebuttal, and they chose to dismiss the complaint. I had grounds to possibly file my own complaint against the other party, but I chose not to.

I was not present at the board meeting where the issue was discussed and decided upon.

From my point of view what I can say is that I received a written notice of the complaint from the ANA via certified mail. Included was the full text of the complaint as written by the complainant. I had 20 days to send a notarized rebuttal via certified mail. After reading the complaint, it was apparent that the complainant just didn't like the two items in question, and they didn't think anyone should collect them. The complainant had never purchased any of my items, and we had never entered into any sort of transaction for anything, ever.

The ANA board reviewed the complaint and rebuttal, and they chose to dismiss the complaint. I had grounds to possibly file my own complaint against the other party, but I chose not to.

Thank you for taking the time to respond; it is much appreciated.

Chris

I agree with both objections.

I wasn't expecting that he would know everything; I was merely curious what if anything he could reveal about the process. I understand that it might be more limited. I appreciate him taking the time to respond.