• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Authentic or Counterfeit? 1896-O Morgan

7 posts in this topic

I am always amazed at how some of the collectors here and ATS can spot fakes so easily. I have yet to be able to do that. For that reason would anyone care to give their opinion on whether these (either or both) are counterfeits?

I am not concerned with condition, grade, lack of luster, etc.. Just if anyone can see identifiable signs of fakes.

Thanks

Coin #1

1_Obv_01.JPG

1_Rev_01.JPG

Coin #2

2_Obv_01.JPG

2_Rev_01.JPG

Thank you John and Joe for the input.

I went to vamworld prior to posting this and came away slightly more confused than prior to bringing up the page.

I don't quite understand the "Private Made" VAM's listed there and from the diagnostics I reviewed, and comparing with some already slabbed NGC and PCGS examples, I have found a number of those graded problem free that exhibited the diagnostics for the private made listings.

Possibly the privately made examples are not considered counterfeit? I am not sure. (shrug)

From your pics, both coins appear to be AU and potentially cleaned due to lack of luster. The only value in 1896-O is at the MS levels.

I see no markers to indicate a counterfeit.

Carl

I have found a number of those graded problem free that exhibited the diagnostics for the private made listings.

Oh, they're counterfeit, and the grading services will miss them from time to time.

From your pics, both coins appear to be AU and potentially cleaned due to lack of luster. The only value in 1896-O is at the MS levels.

I see no markers to indicate a counterfeit.

Carl

Thanks Carl for chiming in on the opinion of counterfeits also.

btw; thought I might add that those coins were imaged using a scanner which does not show the luster. Also the 1896-O is notoriously weakly struck in the center (hair above the ears and the eagles breast) because New Orleans mint employees were gauging the dies with added space to help preserve the life cycle of the dies.

Although there are many mint state examples that do have good strike in those areas there are many that are MS61-MS63, and even higher, that do not have complete strike in those areas. Here is an example of a MS-63 that has weak breast feathers and weak hair over the ear.

1896-O HA Listing

Also I would add that AU-58 examples routinely go for $300.00 to $400.00 at auction and even Unc Details (problem coins) for amounts sometimes higher than $500.00.

That is my observations anyway from looking at many auction results. ;)