• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical....which would you rather have and why?

17 posts in this topic

assuming that they are both no problem coins and that they are both valued at 9,000.00.

1856 Flying Eagle Cent (an original S3 one)

which would probably grade in the area of XF

1793 Liberty Cap Cent

grade in area of VG

?????

I would rather have the 1793 cent because not only is it rare, but it is a historical coin.

ditto

ditto... or does that make a ditto ditto?

Right.

Hoot

I would rather have the 1793 cent because not only is it rare, but it is a historical coin.

ditto

ditto... or does that make a ditto ditto?

Right.

Hoot

Now, isn't that a dirty word in Spanish? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

1793 liberty cap cent the only large cent not in sheldon

893whatthe.gifflamed.gif893whatthe.gifflamed.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifflamed.gif893whatthe.gif

and you CANT BUY a true vg no problem 1793 liberty cap cent for 9k

not even in your devil.gifdreams devil.gif

michael

Hands down, the 1793 Liberty Cap. Although the 1856 is a primo coin, it just isn't in the same league as a '93 Cap! The Cap falls in to the same category as the 1796 quarter, 1801 half, and 1901-S quarters - regular issue coins that are in extremely high demand. The 1856 is more like a Stella, or an ultra-high-relief Saint to me - a coin that is wonderfully rare, but not a regular issue coin, and therefore not a mandatory part of a coin series.

By "regular issue", I mean a coin perceived as having been minted for actual circulation - with expectation and the result being that it actually did circulate!

James

1793 Liberty Cap cent. For every (at least) 20 56 Flyers, you see one 1793 Liberty Cap cent. I like the rarity, the history, and the cache of the 18th century coin. If you pass on the 1793 LC cent, please let me know where I can get it. wink.gif

The 1793 Large Cent is my choice. was a regular issue coin and I believe that is far more rare than the 1856 FE.

The 1856 FE - PCGS Proof 62 - was one of the first expensive coins I got to inspect in detail at my local coin dealer in 1986. I had just purchased the family coin collections and the coin was offered to me for $8K. It was more than I could afford at the time.

Both of these are cool coins to own.

I`d have to say the 56 flying eagle. Although I would agree that the 1793 does have a greater historical significance. I would prefer the 56 flying eagle because of greater detail (ef vs vg) and because I have an affinity for the small cent. As a type and as a key date because of the limited three year mintage for the series. Which would make it all the more alluring to me. takeit.gif

This is actually a very easy question to answer and my answer is that I would take the 1793 cent. In other words, I would continue to keep the $9k in my pocket as I don't think one can buy a true VG with attractive, original surfaces for anywhere near that low figure.