• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counter-Stamped Stone Mountain

13 posts in this topic

Doing a chapter on these for my book. If any forum members have an image of one in their collection I hope you will let me use it. Post here or PM me with the image and who is the photographer. They deserve credit also.

Just need a little history behind your acquisition of the coin, i. e., the pedigree behind the example.

Much thanks in advance.

:)

AN36631249-rz.jpg

Bill Shamhart has a lot of them on his website, Numismatic Americana.

Yup, I noticed that. Bill has a lot of knowledge and "stuff" around this series. I need to set up a meet with him.

If I take a Stone Mountain half and put it on an anvil and punch in "VA 34," is it still a "counter-stamp" even though I used an anvil and not a counter?

If I take a Stone Mountain half and put it on an anvil and punch in "VA 34," is it still a "counter-stamp" even though I used an anvil and not a counter?

But of course.

It just wouldn't be authentic to this discussion. :)

Do you tell readers how to separate the contemporary punches from fakes made later?

Sure enough.