• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If sending in toned coins, does it help to say where you got them??

2 posts in this topic

I have a group of four Morgan silver dollars that I picked up in an estate sale in an old 60's cardboard album. This is not your usual dansco or anything else I have seen. Im afraid they will come back artificially toned because of the crazy teal and purple colors they picked up. What is the method used to determine whether a coin has been artificially or naturally toned??

I am sorry if this has been answered before, I searched for it and didn't see anything.

Sincerely, Nate

• Administrator

Nate,

Thanks for the question. The graders use their collective experience to determine whether they consider toning to be natural or artificial. In select instances, a coin may have toned without any human intervention but will still be considered "artificial toning" because its appearance is not market-accepted. It would not make a difference if you made a note on the submission form; the graders would not see the note.