• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will NCS remove PVC from gold without changing the color of the coin ?

24 posts in this topic

I have a gold $5 indian that has a little pvc on it. Will NCS be able to remove the pvc without changing the coins color or will they just dip the whole coin to remove the pvc and take the chance of giving my coin a new look? I think my coin has just the right color for me and I don't want it touched unless it can be done according to my specifications. mike smile.gif

Yes we can do that.

One important consideration is the degree that the color is being influenced by the residues. Residues can have color. On gold coins, certain residues give the coin a dark color. If this is the case, the color may change with the residue removal.

Otherwise, the color can be removed with out effecting color. Be sure to write "residue removal, keep color" on the submission form.

NCSSilliman,

Thank you I have already sent the coin to NCS and I included a note saying not to do anything to the coin if the color would change. Submission #5026915. I look forward to the results. mike smile.gif

I've sent in a couple of coins (including one currently in there) with requests not to damage the toning if possible. NCS has been good about it. The toning has stayed almost original and the problems were corrected. There is no way I could have done that myself.

Greg have you got your coin back from NCS yet? My coin has been there about a month and I am getting anxious as I have not seen it show up on the NGC order status yet. I hope they were able to remove the pvc and it get's a good grade at NGC. smile.gif mike

Nothing for me yet. Right now I have 8 in there right now and none are done. When I submitted (3/1/03) Brian told me that it should be 14 business days - which would be today.

I'm REALLY interested to see what they are going to do to these coins.

I had 7 of 8 coins show up as either being "graded" or in "quality control". Unfortunately the one coin that I specifically requested not to harm the color is the one coin missing. I don't know if they couldn't do it or if it is just taking more time due to the special request.

My $5 indian showed up in guality control today also. Last time I sent coins to NCS they showed up at NGC on different dates. How did your grades turn out on the ones that were graded? mike smile.gif

No info on grades yet. It seems like I have a problem getting past "quality control". I've got several (non-NCS) invoices stuck there. One has been stuck there for well over a week.

I'm still waiting. I've got 6 invoices stuck at Quality Control right now. Also got 1 at Grading and 2 at Scheduled for Grading. My one coin that I requested not to touch the toning hasn't showed up anywhere. I'm guessing they can't help it without hurting the toning. frown.gif Oh well, maybe I'm wrong and it will show up soon?

I spoke to Customer Service today to find out why my invoices are just sitting there. She said she'd go check and call me back. I'll probably hear back tomorrow.

It's painful waiting for grades. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Yes, a little exciting, but still painful. smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

Well, I got my call back from Customer Service today. Any doubts as to why NGC is #1?

While I still don't know about my toned coin, I did get the grades for some coins.

I had a 1938 Jefferson 5¢ that was a doubled die obverse (FS-021). It was COVERED in green and brown PVC. Jeweluster and acetone wouldn't budge it. I tried prying it off with a toothpick, but nothing would work. While I don't know what it looks like now (it's in the mail back to me), it got slabbed by NGC as MS62. There is no way in hell I could have ever gotten it into a slab by myself. The coin honestly looked ruined when I submitted it.

Two test coins were a 1964 proof 25¢ and 50¢ (Accented Hair). The 25¢ was hazy and had glue around the rims. It was an ANACS PF65CAM and it is now an NGC PF67CAM. The 50¢ had milk spots and I thought it was a PF65 coin with them. It's now an NGC PF66. Full strength Jeweluster wouldn't budge either of the coins.

Four other coins there now are foreign coins.

I'll report on what ALL the coins look like when I get them back. The fact that the Jefferson got slabbed amazes me. I was expecting an NCS (problem) slab on that one.

My coins are back. Well, some of them. Five invoices showed up today, one of which was a NCS -> NGC submission. I've got 5 other coins that went to NCS still in limbo.

The coins:

1938 5¢. This coin had hardened green and brown PVC. It also has a lot of black spots that looked like they were etched into the coin. It was awful and I honestly thought it was ruined. After NCS, the coin is looks like a completely different coin. The green and brown PVC is completely gone. The black spots are gone in some spots and lightened in others. It looks like a completely different coin.

1964 25¢. The coin has white glue around the rims and haze. It wouldn't dip off for me. Now the coin is haze free. The white glue is probable 90%+ gone. The coin looks much better than before. This was a test coin to see what they could do.

1964 Accented Hair 50¢. This coin had milk spots. I think the spots have been lessened, but they are still there. I probably should have taken a closer "before" look. The spots aren't easy to see with the naked eye and I believe they were before.

Thanks PQSeated! Here's another picture. I am still working on close up pictures of the area that had pvc. Greg it sound's like your coins turned out very good also that's great! F4StDKJBQpQb8z0iQKAd9Yeb2ozN47lW0180.jpg

OK, I got the remaining coins back.

One was a Canadian Olympic coin. It's the Plain Edge variety which is a rare error.

I purchased the coin sight unseen about 10-15 years ago and it was graded PR65 by ICCS and it had minor haze. After a while I sent it to PCGS and they graded it PR66. As time went by the haze kept getting worse and worse. Well, NCS was able to remove all the haze (easy) and they also removed 98% of one of those crusty spots (hard).

The only odd thing is that there is some residue to the left of the skiers lower hand. It looks like tiny dust from the slab core. Right next to it the core appears to be slightly melted?

Anyway, the coin looks super compared to what it did look like. The grade is also fine considering the improvements.

pcgs-canada.jpg

ngc-canada.jpg

The other coins.

Syria 1958 50P: They were able to lessen a PVC fingerprint and some dark spots. SEGS MS65 -> NGC MS65.

Germany 1830 16G: I asked them to whiten the coin as much as possible. While the coin is still lightly toned, it looks a lot better. The luster shows up more now. Some black spots are now greatly lessened in appearance. NGC MS64 -> NGC MS64

1846 Austria 3K: There was some waxy substance around the edge. Lots of it. They removed about 97% of it. They also brightened the coin a LOT. The luster booms off the coin now. The reverse is almost prooflike. NGC MS64 -> NGC MS64. I think they are crazy with this grade. A few hairlines and a tiny nick and that is it. frown.gif

1934 25¢: The coin was cleaned in the past, but not I thought it would slab at NGC because the cleaning was old and the coin had retoned. They bagged it for PVC. So off to NCS. This is the coin I asked them "I would like the PVC removed without harming the toning. I want as much of the toning to remain as possible." Well, this was the first coin I've been unhappy with. The toning is all gone. It used to have some nice colorful toning with PVC on top of it. Now it is just an ugly average cleaned coin. It resides in an NCS slab as "AU details, Improperly Cleaned". mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

On the bright side, I really like the NCS slab. You can see the rim of the coins. Nice.

Greg,

It looks like they did an excellent job on that Canadian Olympic coin. Too bad about the '34 quarter though. I wonder if it was a mistake or they just could not remove the PVC without affecting the toning.

John

Wow, Greg - thanks for posting the before/after comparison photos. And congratulations on the one point upgrade plus the ULTRA CAMEO designation. Additional evidence of excellence to spur me on in submitting some coins of my own for conservation.

Beijim